Image may contain: Person, Human, Crowd, Music, Leisure Activities

Great Western Road’s Viper is closing down

The iconic student-favourite club is closing down but it isn’t all bad news

Viper, one of Glasgow's most popular student clubs in the West End, today announced that they will be closing.

On their Facebook page, Viper posted a message reading:

"VIPER IS NOW CLOSED. Thanks for the memories. P.s we will be open for unique one off events so keep your eyes peeled for announcements."

It is the end of an era but on the bright side Viper's biggest night, Monday Night Heat, will be moving to Viper's sister club, The Sanctuary. Sanc is located on Dumbarton Rd, down by Kelvinhall Subway station – and will also play host to Viper's other big night, "I ❤️ Wednesdays".

Speaking to The Tab, Viper explained the reason for the decision:

"We’ve felt it was more financially viable to operate Viper as an event space rather than opening 5 nights a week as a nightclub.

"We also felt that the new pilot 4am license for clubs in the city centre was going to be far too difficult for us to compete with and hopefully this is something we can challenge and try lose the division between City Centre and West End venues.

The two biggest nights from Viper, Monday Night Heat and I ❤️ Wednesdays will be both be moving to The Sanctuary."