Fourth year vet named Scottish athlete of the year

She’s super speedy

Fourth year Laura Muir has capped an incredible 2015 by being named Scottish athlete of the year.

The Dundee Hawkhill Harriers and Glasgow University athlete was awarded the title at Saturday’s Scottish Athletics awards.

Laura, 22, has had quite the year, placing fourth in the 3000m final at the European Indoors in Prague and coming fifth in the World Championships final in Beijing.

She has also become the first Scottish woman to break four minutes for 1500m, cutting back her own national record to 3.58.66. She also won the British title and triumphed at the Diamond League in Oslo.

Beating fellow nominees Lynsey Sharp, Robbie Simpson and Eilish Child for the title, Muir was “thrilled and delighted” to be named as Scottish Athletic’s athlete of the year.

She said: “There was terrific competition for this title and not just from those on the short-list – there have been so many good performances by Scottish athletes this past year.”

Steve Cram presenting the award to Muir (Photo: Peter Jardine)

Steve Cram, the guest of honour at the awards evening, said: “I think Laura is a hugely deserving winner of this. When we look at what happened in Beijing, then some people will simply see the stat that she finished fifth in her final.

“But you have to appreciate the women’s 1500m was probably the toughest event in terms of strength and depth at those World Champs. There was amazing quality gathered in that final and for Laura, at 22, to get fifth place reflects on her talent and mental prowess.

“She had a bit of a rollercoaster in 2014 but, inside, she’s really tough and determined and she proved that emphatically this year.”