The Arches closes early after woman found unconscious outside

A man was also reported to prosecutors over alleged licensing offences

A GBX club event held at the Arches was shut down early on Sunday morning after a woman was found unconscious outside.

She was rushed to hospital and club bosses were forced to close the event early as a result.

A man was also reported to prosecutors over alleged licensing offences and several others over drugs and alcohol offences.


DJ George Bowie’s set was stopped at around 2:45am when he was due to play until 4am.

The club released a statement yesterday saying: “We’d like to apologise once again for those of you who came down for GBX and had your night cut short.

“The decision to close early last night was made in consultation with Police Scotland.”

This comes just a year after a drugs-related death forced The Arches to ban events for under-21s.

Screenshot 2015-03-30 14.41.08

The over-21 policy was introduced after 17-year-old Regane Maccoll died after she took Mortal Kombat ecstasy during a night at the Arches in February 2014.

Screenshot 2015-03-30 14.47.35

A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: “Around 12.40am on Sunday, police were called to a report of a woman unconscious outside the Arches nightclub in Glasgow.

“Emergency services were called and the woman was taken to Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

“Several people were reported to the procurator fiscal for alleged drugs and alcohol offences.

“A man was reported for alleged licensing offences.”

The club released an updated statement yesterday blaming licensing concerns.

It read: “The Arches can confirm that, in consultation with Police Scotland on the night, Saturday’s GBX was closed earlier than advertised due to police licensing concerns and not as previously intimated.

“We would like to clarify that our robust zero tolerance policy, including all additional measures recently agreed with Police Scotland, were in force on the night.

“The incident happened within the venue and the patron concerned was admitted to hospital as a result of an alcohol related episode, but subsequently released.”