PSA: Edinburgh Uni is reviewing its decision to cancel in-person graduations

The Scottish Government will be allowing gatherings of 2,000 outside by the end of June

The University of Edinburgh is reviewing its decision to cancel summer graduations.

Although graduations still remain officially cancelled for now, the uni’s website has been updated to say it is reviewing the situation in light of Covid-19 restrictions being lifted in Scotland.

The uni said it will try to have completed the review by the end of May so an announcement is expected by Monday (the 31st) at the latest.

At the bottom of the 2021 Graduations information page, the website has been updated to say: “Future celebrations: When it is safe to do so, we will invite you to celebrate your achievement with us. How and when events will take place in the future is dependent on a number of factors, especially Scottish Government guidance. Once the situation is clearer, we will share plans with you.

“With the recent news from the First Minister that, by the end of June, it is hoped to be able to host socially distanced audiences of up to 400 indoors and 2000 outdoors, we are exploring whether we can offer an outdoor option this summer and hope to provide further information by the end of May.”

Currently, the official line from the uni is that in-person graduations remain cancelled, and that degree certificates will be posted to anyone graduating this summer.

The uni is also planning to host a virtual graduation ceremony on Thursday 22nd June. It is also offering graduating students the opportunity to take gowned photos in McEwan Hall in early July.

However, the decision to cancel all in-person summer graduations was so unpopular amongst final year students that a group of fourth years started a Change.org petition to reverse it. It received nearly 1,000 signatures.

The review has been triggered by the expected relaxation of Covid-19 restrictions.

By the end of June, it is expected all of mainland Scotland – including Edinburgh – will enter Level Zero whereby gatherings of 2,000 people are allowed outdoors and gatherings of 400 people are allowed indoors.

However, this is still more strict than the planned relaxation of Covid rules in England where it is expected there will be an end to social distancing on June 21st.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

• Edinburgh Uni cancels all in person graduation ceremonies this year

• Edi students have started a petition to overturn the decision to cancel in-person graduation

• Online shows and upset students: All we know about the Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2021