How to know if you’re the mum of your friendship group

Not a glamorous job, but someone has to do it

Being the mum of the group is not exactly the role anyone wants when establishing themselves in their group of uni friends, but it is a job that needs doing.

More often than not, it's a job that chooses you, not the other way around. So, here are some of the traits of the mum of the group, just in case you weren't sure if you are one:

You're a walking pharmacy

As mum of the group, you are the one who has an endless supply of painkillers and home remedies to keep your group healthy. Or, as in most cases, cure your group of friends from uni illnesses.

Paracetamol and ibuprofen are always in your first aid kit, and plasters don't go amiss either.

Just a few of the essentials

Just a few of the essentials

You are the go-to person for advice for your friends

Whether it's relationship drama, friendship drama, uni stress or silly things like cleaning advice, you are the font of all knowledge for your friends. You know exactly what to say and when to say it, and group conflict is often resolved before it starts because of your amazing diplomatic skills.

You also provide hot drinks and sweet snacks because it's common knowledge amongst mums that they solve everything.

Mums know a cup of tea and a biscuit can solve any problem

Bills most likely come out of your account

This really will make you feel like a mum.

Once you start living in private rental with your mates, someone has to take responsibility for rent and bills coming out their account, and that person is you.

In many ways you like that your friends trust you enough to let you be this person, but then you may also become a mum and start nagging them if their portion of the rent and bills haven't been paid.

Calling taxis for nights out usually falls down to you

As mum of the group, you have to call the taxi. Why? You have the number saved in your phone and on a night out you are the only one sober enough to make sense to the operator.

You also sit in the front of the taxi to apologise to the driver for your friends slurring along to the radio and yelling directions to every single club apart from the one you have all agreed to go to.

You end up carrying other people's stuff

Being prepared for every possible outcome can sometimes back fire, and carrying a shopping bag around will do exactly that.

Imagine this: you and your friends are going for a day out via the shops where they all buy something. No one else has a bag so expectant faces turn to you.

Ten minutes later you are carrying three bottles of water, a multipack of crisps and the kitchen sink. Preparation is not always key.

The fold-away bag: your best friend and worst enemy

Your friends have their own personal body guard

As mum, you are fiercely protective of your brood, and will do absolutely anything for them.

Responsibilities include being on their side of an argument with an ex, pushing away unwanted attention in clubs, and rounding up the troops at the end of a night out just so you know everyone is safe.

While your friends are drunk they may find you borderline annoying, but they will thank you in the morning for getting between them and the person they were trying to get with. Mother knows best.