Голосовать! We asked a load of Russians what they thought about Nicola Sturgeon

Imagine them speaking with Russian accents

There were a lot of things on anyone’s year abroad in Russia bucket list — vodka featured quite highly.

Asking other students at St Petersburg Uni “can I take a photo of you with this cut out of Nicola Sturgeon’s face” was not but we gave it a bash.

With the SNP election landslide and whispers of a potential second Indy Ref on the cards, we went out onto the streets of St Petersburg to see what students living in the biggest country in the world make of Super Sturgeon.

But rather than boggling people with facts, figures, polls, swings and seats we took an election mask off the BBC website and asked “what do you think of this woman and her policies?”

Unsurprisingly, Independence, the Queen and sanctions all came up in conversation — Rule Britannia.

Elena, Languages 4th Year at St Petersburg State

“I don’t recognise her — should I be embarrassed? Is this one of those things to make blondes look like they don’t know anything about politics?”

Evgenia, Tourism 4th Year, St Petersburg State

“I absolutely don’t recognise her – who is she?”

Olga, Geology 4th Year, The National Mineral Resources University

“I recognise her face, but I couldn’t say for sure who she is. Independence is good, as long as the majority of people support it.”

Maria, Political Science 4th Year, St Petersburg State Uni

“I don’t know her, but I know about the Independence Referendum. It was very close. The only important woman I know from the UK is the Queen.”

Igor, Marine Navigation 3rd Year, St Petersburg State Uni Sea and River Fleet

“I recognise her face, but unfortunately don’t know her name. The question of Independence is hard to answer, I don’t follow British politics so I couldn’t really say.”

Anna, Political Science 4th year, St Petersburg State

“I’m a political science student, I probably should know who she is. It’s good she supports Independence, it’s of vital importance for everyone.”

Alina, PR 4th year, National State Uni of Physical Culture, Sport & Health

“Are you from the UK? Scotland? Ireland? Wow. Edinburgh. Irvine Welsh. The Cranberries. She is not so cute. Can I keep this picture?”

Nastya, Philosophy 3rd Year, St Petersburg State

“I don’t recognise her. In terms of UK politics we only really learn about sanctions.”

Gozde, Architecture 4th year, Dicle University

“I recognise her, but I couldn’t tell you her name.”

Toni, Russian Fresher, St Petersburg State

“I don’t know her, or recognise her, but I know all about Scottish Independence because we have something similar in Catalonia.”