Durham University LFT sites will close by the end of this month

The uni will be reviewing its ‘test to participate scheme’ this week

Durham University will be shutting down all its LFT sites by the end of February

The sites have been functioning since November 2020 as part of the University’s Covid-19 response and ‘test to participate’ scheme.

Palatinate reports the move comes as part of the University’s reviewal of its Covid-19 response, in light of the Government lifting its own Plan B restrictions. The University’s stance on mandatory face masks and the ‘test to participate’ scheme will also be part of this review.

The ‘test to participate’ scheme has been integral to University life since the return to campus in September 2020 after the first lockdown, where students would need a negative University LFT within the last 48 hours in order to participate in sports and wider University events. The running of these sites has cost the University over £580,000.

A spokesperson for the University has said: “Our on-site LFT testing centres remain open and free to use for all University students and staff, except for the testing centre at the Racecourse which is closed until further notice due to planned works on Baths Bridge.

“We are committed to operating our testing sites until the end of February. As with all Covid-19 mitigation measures, our testing provision is kept under regular review. Any changes will be communicated to our community. The health and safety of our students, staff and wider community remains our priority.”