BREAKING: Durham student missing

Just weeks after calls for better riverside safety, a major search is underway for a missing student who has not been seen since the early hours of Sunday morning.

Luke Pearce, 19, has been reported missing by a member of Durham staff after friends expressed concern that he had not been seen since Sunday.

He had been drinking with friends in Jimmy Allen’s on Saturday and was last seen walking along the river bank towards Maiden Castle from Durham City around 1.30am.

Luke was last seen along the riverbank around 1.30am Sunday morning.

Luke, from St. Cuthbert’s, has been described as a 6 ft 2 in, white male with short ginger hair. He was wearing a blue polo shirt, blue jeans and white trainers. He may also have been wearing a silver chain with a red cross.

Friends say this is completely out of character. Police search teams are currently on the riverbanks in the city whilst Weardale and Teesdale Search and Rescue are conducting searches along the river with assistance from the Fire Service and air support unit.

Police have classed his disappearance as high risk.

Chief Inspector Andy Huddleston said; “We are very concerned for Luke as this is completely out of character and there has been no trace of him since early hours of Sunday morning. He hasn’t responded to any attempts to contact him and his phone has not been traced.”

If anyone has seen Luke or someone matching his description they are asked to contact police on 101.