Job Lot 2: Deals Heaven or Rotting Hell?

POPPY OVENDEN goes to investigate the shop which sells the products the supermarkets don’t want.

The concept: sell on food that is faulty/past its best before date for cheap prices. It only opened a few weeks ago but Job Lot 2, the bargain superstore on North Road, is already doing so well that it’s having to move to larger premises. The Tab had a quick chat to the owner to find out more:

Dealz

The Tab: So, getting to the nitty gritty, are most of the things you sell here past their sell by date?

Job Lot 2: No, no, no!

Tab: They’re not?

JL2: [sighs as if he’s been asked this before] A lot of people don’t appreciate there’s two dates. A use by and the best before. The use by you must use it by [Tab: sounds legit] and it’s illegal to sell that, but best before…

Tab: Ah I see what you did there. The idea being that it makes things a lot cheaper for everyone else?

JL2: Well yes of course, but we don’t base our business on everything being out of date because it’s not, it’s just bits and pieces…

Tab: Uh huh, sure. Do you think it’s been a hit then?

JL2: Well, we’re getting bigger premises. [Tab: Bit arrogant].

Agressive propaganda

Tab: Staying on North Road?

JL2: Yes, we’re moving two doors down.

Tab: Seems a lot of effort. Last question, we’re all dying to know, why is it called Job Lot 2?

JL2: There used to be a company called Job Lot, which was a very good company but it was sold out eventually, but they mainly sold frozen food, and we don’t sell frozen food at the moment so I didn’t want to be just like them.

Tab: Mystery solved!

The owner’s best assurances weren’t enough, so I decided to do some research of my own and bought a packet of their Fox’s ginger creams, which were apparently in date until this March. I couldn’t tell whether they tasted funny or whether ginger creams just don’t taste the same as I remember, but for what they were they were good value.

Bargain

However, it seems others did not have such pleasant experiences. One Mary’s second year said  ‘My chocolate fingers were in date, I checked, and the packaging looked pretty normal like genuine Cadburys. However, they tasted funny, were stale, there was no chocolate and they weren’t crunchy’ .

A Chad’s second year seems to agree, saying ‘My pasta was in date, but it seemed to be second hand from a bargain supermarket in Turkey.’ Bit suspect.

However, if you do want to take the plunge, Job Lot 2 is on North Road, near Boots.