Why the Cambridge Union Winter Ball will be the best night of Michaelmas

Where else are you going to meet reindeer?

On Monday 27th November 2023, the Cambridge Union will be opening its doors for the most exciting night on the term card: its annual Winter Ball. With this year’s theme being “The Yuletide Ball”, it promises to be a festive evening for all.

Running from 8pm to 2am, the Yuletide Ball will be the perfect way to end the first term of the year. Whether you’re a seasoned union hack, or a fresher who has never stepped foot in the Chamber, it will be a night to remember for all. Here’s what you need to know:

What is the entertainment?

The Winter Ball promises a wealth of musical and non-musical entertainment, and I know my personal highlight will be the reindeer, which will really add to the wintry atmosphere of the night. Also advertised on their instagram is the appearance of a Michael Buble tribute act (the king of Christmas who is probably defrosting as we speak), Hot Content, Dragtime, and Soft Crunchy Landing. There’s even more amazing entertainment to be announced and seen on the night!

Will there be food and drink?

This year’s Winter Ball promises to serve delicious food and drink all night! And for free! They’re advertising “unlimited savoury & sweet food from a range of local vendors”, meaning the best of Cambridge’s food scene will be there for you to enjoy. With both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks promised, it’ll definitely be a night to remember (even if your memory doesn’t serve!).

Where is the Winter Ball?

The Cambridge Union will host their ball in their historic building on 9a Bridge Street, CB2 1UB. As a central location, it means you can walk there in your heels and not end up with blisters! The famous Chamber, home of Thursday Night Debates and exciting speaker talks, will transform into a stage, ready for Cambridge’s finest musical talent. The building itself is huge, which represents how many fun and exciting entertainers will be there!

The Chamber! (image credit: Jessica Spearman)

How much are tickets?

Ticket prices range from £79 to £119 and are fully inclusive of everything on the night: Food, drink, entertainment, and all the photos that will make it into your Michaelmas Instagram highlight. Members’ tickets cost £99, while non-members’ cost £119. Access tickets are £79 and available for members with an Access Membership or a Scholarship. Using girl math, the ticket justifies itself: Free food and drink, good music, reindeer, entertainment like Dragtime. What’s not to love?!

If you can’t wait until May Week (in June) to go to a Cambridge ball, make sure you go to the Union’s Winter Ball. Ticket sales close on Thursday 9th November, so make sure to get your tickets here! It’ll be a night to remember!

Feature image credits: Miranda Evans