A Glamorous Guide to Winter Ballin’ in Cambridge

Think of us as you’re drinking champagne in the glow of an unreasonable amount of fairy lights

‘Spooky Scary Skeletons’ has slowly faded into the void and questionably carved pumpkins are filling the college bins, which can only mean one thing: Mariah Carey season is upon us! And in Cambridge, Bridgemas time is defined by three things: pan-fried ‘roast dinners,’ a ‘Ryder and Amies’-themed Secret Santa, and Winter Balls.

These balls are the best fun-filled nights of mulled wine, sparkling lights and dancing that Cambridge has to offer, and with so many fabulous events to choose from, we thought we’d help you out with a fun guide to all things glitz this Michaelmas.

Selwyn Snowball

Kicking us off is Selwyn College, which boasts of having the only annual winter ball in the city, so they’ve gotten pretty good at hosting the event over the years. The 2022 ball will take place on 2nd December and is expected to be bigger and better than ever. The theme is ‘Versailles,’ inspired by the glamour and intrigue of the legendary parties held by Louis XIV, so expect the night to be a showstopper!

Tickets accessible to students from all colleges go on sale here today(!!) at 5 pm for a minimum price of £99. They’re expected to sell out, so be there or be square! (Because a ball is round? Get it? Never mind…)

Image credits: Facebook/Selwyn Snowball 2022

Catz Winter Ball

Are you good at puzzles? If so, you might be in with the chance of winning a pair of tickets to this next ball. The first person to correctly answer all three puzzles will get such a prize, or their previously bought tickets fully refunded!

The St Catharine’s College Winter Ball is themed ‘alchemy’ and is set to take place on 1st December, the perfect time to have one last hoorah at the end of a hectic term. All tickets for the night have already gone on sale, but there are still a limited number of not-Catz tickets available, the cheapest of which is £155. Access tickets here!

Union Winter Ball

Titled ‘Journey into a Winter Wonderland,’ this year’s ball promises to be magical, with unlimited food and drink, as well as brilliant music and entertainment. The event will be held on 28th November and is open to members and non-members alike, although the member ticket is cheaper (£89 and £119, respectively.)

If you’re feeling lucky, why not enter their Instagram ticket giveaway? Entry details can be found here, but be quick because the giveaway finishes tomorrow!

In the mean time, why not attend the launch party for the ball, at Jazz After Dark today! Entry is £3 for members & £6 for non-members.

Law Society Ball

A ball so popular its dining tickets have already sold out! Luckily for you lot, the non-dining tickets are still available here at £75 for CULS members and £95 for non-members. This ‘Escape to Wonderland’-themed event is going to be held on 25th November at Madingley Hall, making it the perfect way to celebrate Bridgemas Day!

Don’t despair if you dream of getting a dining ticket to the ball, as there may still be hope through the wonder that is Ticketbridge! If you haven’t discovered this particular realm of Facebook yet, it’s a group where students sell their event tickets, and there’s bound to be at least one dining ticket that appears there before the night.

Medicine Society Winter Ball

This last ball hasn’t been announced yet, as it typically happens in early February, so no details have been released by the society, but watch this space for a wonderful night at the start of next term!

Have fun ballin’ kiddas!

Featured Image Credits: Wikimedia Commons via Creative Commons License