Competition: Get your Cambridge-themed cocktail featured in the virtual May Week Mega Event!

There’s a party and you’re all invited

| UPDATED Cambridge cocktails competition contest drinks May Week submissions the may week mega event virtual may week

We’re just over halfway into Cambridge’s first ever virtual term. It’s been a slog, and with Week 5 in sight (and the blues that come along with it), we at The Tab thought we’d brighten your day with a little announcement.

Cambridge RAG, MWA (May Week Alternative) and the May Ball Presidents’ Committee have teamed up to put on The May Week Mega Event on Saturday 28th June!

The hardest morale hit of the term (no May Week) will be brought to life on your screens instead, so look forward to a live-stream that will keep you entertained all evening: musicians, performers and, of course, as many students as possible taking part in the festivities!

The Big May Ball Appeal for coronavirus will also be raising money on the night for the Addenbrooke’s Trust and the Centre for the Study of Existential Risk, who are doing incredibly important work in the fight against coronavirus. This is all the more reason to get involved and come together as a community, as well as have a bit of fun along the way. 

So, what does The Tab have to do with it? We’ve organised a fun competition for this end-of-year celebration, the winners of which will be featured in the May Week Livestream. See below for details.

The Cambridge Cocktail Competition

The title explains it all – we’re looking for creative cocktail recipes modelled after some aspect of Cambridge life. Are you in the mood to make a ‘Stephen Toope’? Or tell us all what a ‘Van of Life’ cocktail would taste like? If so, use this form to submit your best Cambridge-themed cocktail recipes.

Of course, they don’t have to be alcoholic. We are also taking submissions for mocktails, as well as any gross cocktail combinations you’d like to see.

Bonus points if you film yourself making your drink! The more interactive it is, the better. Submissions close on 27th May, after which we’ll shortlist the five best cocktails. If you’re shortlisted, you and your amazing cocktail will be featured in the live-stream, where the public will have final say on who wins the cherished title of Best Cambridge Cocktail.

Disclaimer: if you’re shy and you get shortlisted, a member of the Tab Team can make it for you on the night. Just let us know your preference when we contact you.

The Fine Print

• Your drink must be Cambridge themed
  • Please include all ingredients, measurements, and method where needed
  • Please include any jokes/explanations that relate your cocktail to the theme in your recipe (see example video below)
  • Submissions are open from the 19th May and will close at 12pm on the 27th May

If you need a little inspiration, here’s two examples below – but this isn’t by any means exactly what we want. Your cocktail can be more complicated, jokey, or just plain gross, as long as it fits the theme.

Remember that submissions are open for a week, so get your mixing on! This night will definitely be one to remember, and for such a good cause, one that you’ll be proud to take part in too. If you would like to get involved with The May Week Mega Event, but don’t want to enter this competition, you can check out their website here.

Submit your cocktail here by 27th May.

Music credits for video: Bensound.com