Image may contain: Urban, Street, Town, Building, City, Road, Person, Human

Cambridge colleges warn of ‘suspicious male’ harassing female students

The man was reportedly ‘naked from the waist down’

Cambridge sexual harrassment

Colleges including Pembroke, Queens', Jesus, and Robinson have been sending emails to students this week alerting them to a "lone white male" who has reportedly been sexually harassing female students.

In an email sent to Robinson College undergraduates today, Head Porter David Reynolds wrote: "Through information received from university security and my fellow Head Porters we have been made aware of three incidents recently of a male in a car stopping female students, initially asking for directions, but then making requests of a sexual nature.

"He has been operating in the Grange Road and Selwyn Gardens area late in the evening or the early hours of the morning where there are four main college sites plus numerous hostels of other colleges.

"The Police and University Security are aware and are investigating but so far we do not have the car details or registration number.

"Please remain alert when walking late at night. If you are approached in such manner please report it as soon as possible so that it may be followed up by the Police. If you feel unsafe remember that you may go to the nearest Porters' Lodge."

Image may contain: Page, Document, Text

Email sent to Robinson students

Further details regarding the "suspicious male" were given in an email sent by the Queens' College Senior Tutor to undergraduates today. Students were informed that the man concerned has made "inappropriate and unwelcome remarks while following the student in a vehicle, but also that he has issued explicit sexual propositions.

"Some reports describe him being 'naked from the waist down'. One such incident involved a student walking along Selwyn Gardens on Friday 24 January, another near Newnham last night (Wednesday 29 January), and yet another near Robinson very early this morning".

The email went on to say that the male concerned is described as: "Aged about fifty, white, small and of chubby build, wearing [g]lasses with dark hair (balding). The vehicle concerned is a small dark saloon, perhaps a Volkswagen Polo or similar".

In an email sent to Jesus College students, the man is further described as having "sunken cheeks with a British accent". He allegedly asked students "to engage in lewd acts whilst driving alongside them".

Image may contain: Label, Letter, Document, Page, Text

Email sent to Pembroke College students this week

Colleges have warned students to be vigilant about personal safety when out and about, especially in the hours of darkness.

Image may contain: Page, Text

Advice sent in an email to students at St. Catherine's College

Featured image of Selwyn Gardens, Cambridge: JThomas