Image may contain: Text, Transportation, Vehicle, Motorcycle, Machine, Wheel, Billboard, Footwear, Shoe, Apparel, Clothing, Advertisement, Human, Person

What’s on: Week two

Fun things to try in Cam this week

We hope everyone enjoyed Freshers' Week and is settling into Cambridge well this term. For those of you who already dread the long days spent in lecture halls and library chairs, here is a list of fun, cultural things you can do in Cambridge over the next week to enrich and expand your mind…

Joe

1. Go and see The Deep Blue Sea

Terence Rattigan’s 1950s tragedy The Deep Blue Sea is being shown this week at the ADC.

The play, at a glance, seems to be vivid and volatile (as its title might suggest); raging passion alongside unrequited love, and an attempted suicide in a world of rebirth following the aftermath of World War 2 – it’s definitely one not to miss! I first heard about this play a few years ago when the National Theatre put on a production with Peaky Blinders’ Helen McCrory in the leading role of Lady Hester Collyer. I didn’t get the chance to see it then so I’m very excited to have a second opportunity this week!

The Deep Blue Sea opens at the ADC at 7:45pm on Tuesday 15th October, and runs until Saturday 19th.

Joe

2. Alternatively, go and see a comedy at the ADC

The Cambridge University Musical Theatre Society (CUMTS) have an original musical on this week at the ADC! Unexpected Item In The Bagging Area is a comedy which orbits around the staff at ‘The Supermarket™©’ – it looks to be a kaleidoscope of trolleys, conveyor belts and questionable customer service, all put into song – be sure to check(it)out!

Unexpected Item in the Bagging Area opens at the ADC at 11pm on Wednesday 16th October and runs until Saturday 19th.

Joe

3. Pay a visit to the Fitzwilliam Museum

If you’re into odes and nightingales this one is for you! The rare autograph manuscript of John Keats’ romantic poem, Ode to a Nightingale, goes on display this Tuesday in the Fitzwilliam Museum. For English students (like myself) in particular, this is something you can do to make you feel like you’re doing a good thing for your degree without actually having to do anything good for your degree.

The manuscript of Keats’ ‘Ode to a Nightingale’ – goes on show Tuesday 15th and runs until Sunday 5th January at the Fitzwilliam Museum

Joe
4. Watch Cambridge smash Oxford (we hope) in the Varsity debate at the Union

This week at the Cambridge Union, this house believes that ‘political violence has no place in democracy.’ Proposing the notion are three Cambridge students: Alex Murray, Lucía Arce Cubas and Trenton Sewell. Opposing are three Oxford students: Dominic Brind, Imogen Edwards-Lawrence and Adam Roble. To witness this Varsity of the minds, make sure to go along this Thursday.

‘Political violence has no place in a democracy’ is on this Thursday (17th) at the Cambridge Union.

Max

5. Go to an exhibition about the history of women at Cambridge at the UL

The “Rising Tide” exhibition at the University Library commemorates 150 years of women in Cambridge. It explores the challenges women have faced studying at Cambridge since Emily Davies founded Girton College in 1869. Did you know Cambridge was the last big institution in the UK to allow females to graduate, passing the bill in 1948? I think there is a lot that can be learned from this exhibition and I’m really excited to find out more about the history of women in Cambridge as well as the issues that still need to be addressed today.

“Rising Tide” is on at the University Library from Monday 14th October until March 2020

Max

6. Sample thirty different apples (yes, you heard correctly)

Ever felt like Mainsbury’s apple range is a bit limited? Ever wondered what it would be like to try 30 different kind of apples? Then Apple Day at Cambridge University Botanical Gardens is the place for you. This event looks apple-solutely awesome. There will be free garden tours, live music, local craft stalls and pop-up food trucks as well. I cannot wait to treat myself to an end of the week apple feast.

Apple Day is on Sunday 20th 10am-4pm at the University Botanical Garden

Max

7. Check out a nudity-themed exhibition

“Notes” creates small zines with a selection of writing from students across Cambridge. The next edition will be on nudity, and I think it’ll be fascinating to see what Cambridge students have to say on this topic. Surely there’s more to it than the Naked Blues Calendar and Cambridge’s Best Bum competition? After reading through students work, there will be a life class, hosted by Clare Life Drawing. A creative finish to a really unique event.

“Notes 59” Launch will be held at The Gatehouse, Clare College on Tuesday 22nd 8.30-10.30pm.

See you next week! Max & Joe.