Cambridge is officially the UK’s top university

We’re number one for the sixth year in a row

Hide Images

The University of Cambridge has come out on top for the sixth consecutive year in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019, which will be published on Sunday.

We topped the charts based on the Guide's criteria for research quality, entry standards, completion rate and the amount the university spends on facilities and services for its students.

This also means that we pipped Oxford to the post, who were ranked second (again) this year. Feel free to chant GDBO for as long you like.

Cambridge also remains within the top six universities in all the main international rankings and was rated gold in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF), a government assessment of the quality of undergraduate teaching in universities and other higher education providers in England. Only one in three applicants to Cambridge receive a conditional offer.

Miraculously, when it comes to completion rate, we scored 98.6%, meaning very few of us are actually dropping out (despite probably threatening to do so after yet another weekly roasting in a supo).

Commenting on Cambridge’s position, Alastair McCall, editor of The Sunday Times Good University Guide, said: “Unlike Oxford which tops relatively few of our subject tables, Cambridge comes out top in almost half of the Good University Guide’s 67 subject rankings, demonstrating enormous strength across science, engineering, the arts and modern languages. Its graduates are sought after and among the highest paid, so the huge challenges of getting an offer – and then winning a place – are worth it both for the long-term benefits and the access gained to some of the most brilliant minds in higher education anywhere in the world.”

So there you have it: victory is sweet.

(Information credited to The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019).