Image may contain: Person, People, Human

Tit Hall drinking society ‘The Crescents’ distance themselves from controversial video

The video posted on Grudgebridge has received widespread student condemnation

Tit Hall drinking society, the Crescents, has drawn controversy and condemnation in a video where one speaker (though reportedly not a member of the Crescents) claims that "inclusivity is the single biggest problem facing the modern age".

The contentious video was posted to Grudgebridge at 4pm on Monday 7th; it was filmed at 10am on Caesarean Sunday. The video was filmed in Wetherspoons in Cambridge, where many Cambridge students were drinking that morning. In the video, one speaker is heard to "disclaim" "I swim as if I've never had the money to pay for swimming lessons", before proceeding to explain why he thinks he should swim in Emma pond.

The Tab has been informed by the president of the Crescents that although the person in the video is a member of Trinity Hall college, he was not a member of the Crescents drinking society, and not all of the group that watching him were either.

Obnoxious and condescending drinking society behaviour has long blighted Cambridge student society. John's drinking society made headlines in previous years when joking about 'having sex with a passed out girl'. This C-Sunday also saw an air ambulance called to Trinity College allegedly after their all male drinking society, the Cobblers, had initiations.

Image may contain: Poster, Paper, Flyer, Brochure

Grudgebride's criticisms are echoed by the rest of the student body

The main speaker at 'Spoons was not a member of the Crescents. However, the other students present, wearing black tie, are members of the society, according to our source.

An outpouring of student anger and condemnation has followed the posting of this video. One student referred to the members of the Crescents as "homogenous human-shaped scumbags", comparing them to a "bulbous cyst". Another commented: "this presents so many things that are wrong with this place wrapped up in one succinct video".

UPDATE: a spokesperson for Trinity Hall has said 'During a college society incident a man made some ill-judged remarks that have caused understandable concern and distress. Though the man was not a member of the society, the group has issued an unreserved apology for these remarks and emphasised it in no way condones any of the views and sentiments expressed. The group also added that it remains committed to being an open and inclusive society, and discrimination in any form is completely against its values and the behaviour it expects from its members.'

Trinity Hall have also cancelled the Crescents Garden Party for this year, and are investigating the matter further.

The video and post has since been deleted off Grudgebridge, but not before it had been viewed over 2,000 times.

While widely critical, most reactions do not express surprise. The student body seems to be used to these sorts of antics, provoking the question: should such behaviour still go unpunished?