Image may contain: Speech, Crowd, Audience, Person, People, Human

Vice Chancellor opposes proposed pension changes

Strikers celebrate his support.

Protesters rejoice:

The University Communications department has just tweeted that VC Professor Stephen Toope, following industrial action, has given his support to resuming talks with UUK and the UCU.

On Day 2 of the Strikes, meetings have been held in London, although the content of these discussions is yet unknown.

The news was given to protesters outside the Senate House by Waseem Yaqoob, who said 'Our vice-chancellor has joined the dissenters' , urged strikers to continue applying pressure, and to 'tell management to piss off'.

Toope joins 18 Vice Chancellors who have also called for a return to talks to end the strikes, including Newcastle and Durham.

Toope's decision follows industrial action and protest in Cambridge, CUSU's open letter, and student boycotting of lectures, contact hours, and University facilities.

Image may contain: Text, Letter, Poster, Paper, Flyer, Brochure

CUSU Education Officer Martha posted in support of the VC, but also reminded students not to 'sit back and imagine all has been won', but to 'increase strike action.'

A prestigious law lecture was cancelled today as a result of the strike action – the annual David Williams lecture – and Jeremy Corbyn has called the UUK to return to the negotiating table.