Every Little Helps: The Museum Without a Home

The exhibition shows it is better to help in small ways than not help at all

Hide Images

Oxcam, the Oxfam Society at the University of Cambridge, is organising an exhibition of objects donated by the Greek people to refugees. The exhibition opened today and will be open until 13th February in Murray Edwards College.

The pop-up exhibition is entitled The Museum Without a Home and will exhibit everyday objects that British and Greek people have donated to refugees who have fled violence and persecution. The exhibition was created by Oxfam and Amnesty International to show 'the kindness of strangers'.

The exhibition highlights the importance of objects we often take for granted

The exhibition is varied and displays everyday objects such as a kettle, a toy car and colouring books. Whilst they may seem small, their donation have had an incredibly meaningful effect for the refugees who received them.

Miriam Quinn, president of Oxcam, told The Tab 'With something on the scale of the current refugee crisis, it can be easy as an individual to feel overwhelmed by the challenges presented. For me that is the most striking aspect of The Museum Without a Home- it demonstrates the major effect that small acts of kindness can have on the lives of strangers. It serves as a powerful reminder of the important role we can all play in shaping the world we want to see- whether that's welcoming refugees into our communities or campaigning for change.'

When you connect the dots, you realise even small acts of kindness have huge effects

Oxcam have invited local politicians to attend the event from 6:30pm onwards on 9th February. Quinn hopes that their experience of the exhibition will have a strong impact; 'Next month, we have an exciting opportunity to create a major change! MPs in Parliament will debate a new bill, which if implemented would allow refugees in the UK to be reunited with their families, helping them to build a new life for themselves surrounded by the people they love.' She hopes local MPs will 'play their part in turning this bill into law.' and encourages students to 'write to you MP at home'.

Currently, adult refugees are only able to be reunited with their partner and children under 18, meaning brothers and sisters over the age of 18 may not be eligible to join their parents and siblings in the U.K. Refugee children in the U.K are unable to bring their parents to join them.

The exhibition was originally shown in Athens, and has been displayed in New York, Belfast, Belgrade and Ottawa. After it's appearance in Cambridge, it will be shown in Leicester and then London. Last year it won the European Excellence Award in Brussels.