THEATRE: This Week

Get your thesp game on

ADC Corpus Theatre

It’s Week One! No one has any real work yet, not even the NatScis. Make the most your free time with some of these theatrical offerings.

At the ADC

The Habit of Art Tue 11th October – Sat 15th October at 7.45pm

Opera! Controversy! Alan Bennett! This mainshow grapples with “the thought of growing old, creativity and inspiration, of persistence when all passion is spent: ultimately on the habit of art”. A play within a play about W.H. Auden and Benjamin Britten questioning their successes, head to the ADC to see the work of the masterful Bennett.

The Last Five Years Wed 12th October – Sat 15th October at 11pm

This musical by Jason Robert Brown tells the story of a failing relationship through a “unique storytelling device,” showing “Cathy singing about their relationship from breakup to meeting, and Jamie from meeting to breakup, their songs alternating.” It should be an emotional and interesting performance.

Footlights Smoker Tue 11th October at 11pm

See the next Hugh Laurie or Emma Thompson at this Smoker. Catch “songs, sketches, monologues and standup,” because it’s the Footlights and they’re famous. Kind of.

At CAMBRIDGE ARTS THEATRE

Antigone and Lysistrata Wed 12th October – Sat 15th October at 2.30pm and 7.45pm

Performed once every three years, the Greek Play not only gives classicists an excuse to pretend their degree is relevant, but also promises an exciting evening. A double bill of tragedy and comedy, it is “a unique opportunity to hear the extraordinary language of these two great plays performed in the original Greek”. Modern issues of feminism and mourning will be explored in a classical context for a showstopping night. They will provide an English translation but pretend you don’t need it and impress with Ancient Greek “knowledge”.

At CORPUS PLAYROOM

Medea Tue 11th October – Sat 15th October at 7pm

Steel thyselves for an evening of sexual desire and terrible revenge. A classic play reimagined through modern eyes, this “dark and brilliant tale” deals with the perils of love, heartbreak and justice with a tragic twist.

Howie the Wookie Thu 13th October – Sat 15th October at 9.30pm

Following a successful run at the Edinburgh Fringe, this play has returned home to Cambridge. See the work of celebrated playwright Mark O’Rowe, and take a “nightmarish dive into the darkest depths of human behaviour”.

Pinefish Mon 10th October at 9.30pm

Footlight Ruby Keane and “self-proclaimed human” offers stand-up for one night only.

At ROBINSON COLLEGE AUDITORIUM

Romeo and Juliet Thu 13th October – Sat 15th October at 8pm

The Pembroke Players are offering a “modern, energised restaging of the classic text.” After having toured across Japan and England with this play, the Players are back “with some of Cambridge’s most experienced actors” and isn’t to be missed.