FOOD COLUMN: Rum’n’Lime Refresher

Because at this point, we all need a drink.

Alcohol Booze Cambridge Cocktail drink food food column lime rum rum lime refresher University of Cambridge

Think of this as a refreshing cooler for hot and balmy summer days; or a worthy post-library treat; or just because it tastes so damn good it leaves you crying for more.

This is probably one of the most thirst-quenching of drinks, with the strong hit of rum undercut by an acidity that comes from lime and a mellow sweetness of sugar.

I’m a great believer that summer bevs should be easy and fruity. This satisfies such criteria and more besides. You can practically taste the sun once the lime is between your palms and its zesty aroma fills the air. To get more juice from your limes heat them in the microwave for a couple of seconds before squeezing, or store them at room temperature.

It goes without saying that you can adjust the proportions to suit your personal tastes and requirements (no judgement – exam term is hard), but this is my starting point. This is no time to be a stickler for rules and regulations. Substitute the carbonated water for ginger ale, soda/tonic water or lemonade – whatever takes your fancy. After photographing this I actually added a scoop of coconut & lime ice cream to my glass (courtesy of Waitrose – not student budget I know, but life is about a little luxury) and a masterpiece was born.

Chin chin, Cantabs.

Ingredients (per 1 drink – double/triple/quadruple up as you see fit): a handful of fresh mint leaves, 1 lime, heaped tablespoon white sugar, handful of crushed ice, 2-3 generous shots of dark rum, carbonated water

Instructions:

1. Tear your mint leaves and drop them into the bottom of a tumbler. Squeeze in your lime juice.
  2. Add the sugar and stir to get a sweet syrupy mix. I find it hard to resist tasting at this point: there is something about fresh citrus and sugar that screams summery heaven.
  3. Fill your glass with ice, then pour over the rum and top up with the carbonated water.
  4. Give your glass a quick stir and get glugging.