Cuppers Round-Up

After a weekend of football the line-up for the semi-finals of cuppers has now been decided.

Cambridge colleges CUAFC Cuppers final football grange road Jack Anderson jesus Josh Gernter mike smith semis Tom Bennett

Jesus 1 – Clare 0

Jesus First XI triumphed 1-0 over a determined Clare side in the quarter finals of this years Cuppers. Jesus, seeking to go one further than they did last year and win the cup, came through a nervy quarter final thanks to an early goal from striker Jack Anderson who has been in prolific form this season.  Jesus started strongly and their hard work paid off when, after winning the ball back high up the pitch, Jack Anderson was played through by Harry Roocroft and powered a volley into the top corner past the diving Clare keeper. This goal seemed to spark Clare into life and Jesus keeper Josh Gertner reacted well to tip a powerful drive over the bar. From the resulting corner a free header at the back post was put wide, but from then on the match was dominated by Jesus. Andreas Mullertz was denied by the post and a number of fine saves from the Clare goalie who, after a nervy start, had an excellent game. Tom O’Loughlin was also agonisingly close to doubling Jesus’s lead but the Clare keeper just managed to tip his fierce drive onto the bar. Despite all of their pressure Jesus were unable to add to their one goal lead, but some solid defending against late pressure from Clare ensured they came through in the end.

Last year’s beaten finalists

Trinity 1 – Selwyn 0

Trinity dominated the game as they came out 1-0 winners over Selwyn. Their defensive pairing of Jamie Ladbrooke and Mike Smith looked rock solid, limiting Selwyn to the rare half chance and relegating their goalkeeper to a mere spectator. Trinity’s best opening of the first half came when Mitch Bibby latched on to a lengthy goal kick with a well-timed run only to be thwarted by some strong Selwyn goalkeeping while Ewan Bowlby also threatened regularly with probing runs from the right. Despite this dominance the teams went in at half-time still all square. The second half started well for Trinity, with Blues centre back Smith having impressed at half time with his demonstration of tactical nous through the medium of water bottles, and soon Trinity grabbed what proved to be the winning goal. A fine team move culminated in Ewan Bowlby playing a delightful ball from the right hand side across the six yard box for Mitch Bibby to expertly prod home. Selwyn applied some pressure for a late equaliser but the Trinity defence led by Smith closed them out to claim a place in the semi-finals.

Blues centre back Smith was crucial for Trinity

Gonville & Caius 4 – St Catz 2

League leaders Caius required extra-time to squeeze past St Catz into the semis. With Catz having only two wins to their name in the league this season and having been rolled over 4-0 by Caius in the league only the week before this match ought to have been something of a formality, but a plucky performance forced the best team in Cambridge this season to pull out all the stops.

Pembroke 7 – Churchill 1

George Hinksman scored four as Pembroke ominously rolled over Churchill to join Trinity as the second lower league team in the semi-finals. With the team is such form, the romance of cuppers may yet come to life as they are confronted by the Caius machine in the semis.

The illustrious venue of the final

Both semi-finals are due to be played on the 22nd of February with Jesus hosting Trinity and Caius hosting Pembroke. All four teams now have their sights firmly set on the final at the football mecca that is Grange Road and each will feel they have a reasonable chance of getting there.