What’s On Week 2

Back in the swing of things? Take some time off to enjoy all that Cambridge has to offer this week.

what's on

THEATRE

Blue Stockings, ADC, 7.45pm, Tues 28th – Sat 1st, £10/8

A story of the first female undergrads at Cambridge – a new look at Girton College.

Dr Faustus, Arts Theatre, 7.30pm, Wed 29th – Sat 1st, Students £12.50

The Marlowe Society back with a bang this term with a lavish production celebrating the 450th anniversary of Christopher Marlowe.

What the Butler Saw, Corpus Playroom, 7pm, Tues 28th – Sat 1st, £6/5

A ‘sharp-tongued, fast-paced string of disasters’ – expect nakedness, drama, comedy and more nakedness.

MUSIC 

Skindred – Junction, Fri 31st, Doors 7pm £17.50

Fresh from Reading + Leeds Festival this welsh reggae metal act is certainly one of the biggest names at the Junction this term.

Del Amitri – Corn Exhange, 28/1, Doors 7:30pm, £35

After a ten year sabbatical, the legendary Del Amitri are back – now 30 years from their debut single “Sense Sickness”.

FILM 

Inside Llewyn Davis, Arts Picturehouse (times vary, released Friday 24th January)

The latest film from the talented and prolific Coen brothers tells the story of fictional folk singer-songwriter Llewyn Davis in the customary Coen style. Watch it in order to be justified in getting irate over its various ‘snubs’ from the Academy last week.

The World’s End, Sat 25th, 7pm & 10pm, Christ’s Films

Everybody loves a bit of Simon Pegg, and if you’re a fan of Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz you should definitely watch this apocalyptic comedy for just £4 at Christ’s College.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Sunday 26th January at 7pm & 10pm, St. John’s Picturehouse

Sit back, relax, and let your mind stop intellectualising for a bit with this latest instalment of the Hunger Games franchise. It’s only £3.50 for a ticket, so if you missed out the first time the film was released, go for it now. (Everyone’s said it’s better than the first one, too.)

OTHER CULTURAL HAPPENINGS

Frank Turner at the Cambridge Union Society, Mon 27th, 7pm, Members Only

Come and see Frank Turner talk music, life and everything in between in what is bound to be an unmissable event for fans.

ARCSOC presents KLUB KAWAII, Fez, 10pm, Thurs 30th, price TBC 

ARCSOC is back for the ‘dance dance revolution’ – if past nights are anything to go by, this is not one to miss.