TURF brings Freshers’ Week To Fez

Promising a “goliath of underground music” and “a polysexual cosmic disco wonderland.” student run TURF has announced the line up for the first two – of nine – events this term.

Offering the best in underground music, student-run TURF has announced the first two of its 9-part winter season Thursdays at Fez. The guys behind TURF have told us they’re “a bit fed up with the rapid expansion of commercial nightclub events in Cambridge offering packaged, tacky themes and painfully overused DJ bookings”, and if these first acts are anything to go by then we’re in for a treat.

First up we’ve got the Fever Launch Party, happening on the Thursday of Freshers Week (10/10/13) and they have a pretty spectacular night lined up. DJ collective Horse Meat Disco – once described as “a polysexual cosmic disco wonderland.” by the BBC – are going to be offering up the very best in Disco, Funk & Soul. Dig out your dancing shoes and expect to be hearing goodness from the likes of Kool & The Gang and Stevie Wonder. Horse Meat Disco played St Johns May Ball last year and met with rave reviews, so this should be a night to put in your diaries. If you’re not already sold, you can also expect face-painting, fancy dress and dance-offs. What more could you want from a night? If you need further enticement check out their Boiler Room set from earlier this year:
[iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”//www.youtube.com/embed/kerULmdCtfY” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen][/iframe]

If wubs are your thing, then look no further than the first TURF all-nighter of the term, on October 17th. They’ve managed to secure one of the pioneers of dubstep, Loefah, who’ll be bringing a 90 minute session to the sure-to-be unforgettable night. After becoming disillusioned with an increasingly stale Dubstep scene, Loefah broke away and eventually formed Swamp 81, a record label that’s released seminal records by Addison Groove, Zed Bias, Boddika and Will Saul among others. Loefah has been on hiatus for a long time now, so this could be an excellent chance to see him put on an insane show.
[iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”//www.youtube.com/embed/Gy2KlQ7QXX4″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen][/iframe]
If that’s not enough, on the same night you can also catch Jon Rust, a veritable wizard behind the decks, showcasing the best funk-heavy beats and deep grooves. You should check out his excellent of Boiler Room set if you want a taste of what the night will be like:
[iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”//www.youtube.com/embed/ocdPn2srPUE” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen][/iframe]
This is just the first announcement and there’s many more to come. You can pick up tickets for the Fever Launch here and for the TURF All-Nigher here – we’ve been assured by the Rudimental boys they’re likely to sell out soon.