Year of the Snake gets off to a good start

THOMAS PIACHAUD watches the Cambridge Pythons charge to another win

1984 Orange Bowl cambridge pythons Canterbury Christ Church Chargers Coldham’s Common Fumblerooski thomas piachaud

With the Chinese New Year commencing, perhaps fate had played its cards when the Cambridge Pythons took to the field against Canterbury Christ Church Chargers in their fifth game of the season.

Coldham’s Common lived up to its name, and with freezing temperatures, even colder winds and some biting rain the two teams squared up against each other.

The game got off to a slow start with neither team able to move the ball very far nor forcing the punt for each team. On the Pythons second drive, a fumbled snap proved to open up an opportunity for the Pythons, when quarter back Joe Yarwood saw some space and ran 34 yards to the Chargers one yard line, in what seemed to be a touchdown but was deemed otherwise.

Temperatures plummeted below zero, but this was of no concern to either team who wanted victory

The Chargers stood firm on the goalline forcing the Pythons into a fourth and goal where they elected to kick the field goal. After lining up for the field goal, the Pythons holder Nick Roope decided to take a risk and run in the ball instead of attempting the kick, scoring the game’s first touchdown. On the conversation Nick Roope again took charge and completed the two point attempt to Steve Kinersely. The Pythons took an early 8-0 lead.

The second quarter saw the Pythons extending their lead with a field goal from kicker Jack Tavener. The Chargers were unable to get anything going offensively, and missed a field goal. The Pythons were driving inside the two minute warning, with an excellent completed pass from Yarwood to Baker for 35 yards, however time expired before the Pythons could capitalise.

Half time score: Cambridge Pythons 11-0 Canterbury Christ Church Chargers.

The Pythons got the ball to start the second half inside the mud puddle on the field. A sloppy Centre/quarter back exchange saw the ball on the floor and recovered by Canterbury. Wanting to capitalise on a possible momentum shifter the Canterbury offence looked dangerous, with Canterbury’s quarter back #12 Josh Adamson providing the majority of the yardage on his feet, with a few shots through the air, the Chargers eventually punched in the ball for the one yard sneak.

After another Pythons three and out, the Chargers fought back with a lengthy 13 play drive that culminated in a field goal attempt that turned out to be a fake. Luckily the Pythons defence were not fooled and put down the Chargers quarter backs on the 31.

Cambridge Pythons dominated the first half, after which the win never looked in doubt

Another fumble by the Pythons, recovered by the Chargers #91 and it seemed the momentum was fully in the favour of the Chargers. However, the Pythons defence stepped up to the plate, after some adjustments and managed to turn the ball over on downs.

With the game on the line, the Pythons were held to a long third down. However, a gutsy play call saw a long completion from Joe Yarwood to Canadian Jaason Geerts for 34 yards giving the Pythons a great shot at the endzone.

In a bizarre turn of events, reminiscent of the Fumblerooski from the 1984 Orange Bowl, Centre Thomas Piachaud fumbled the snap to the quarter back but managed to recover the ball and run it for seven yards. A 13 yard connection from Yarwood to Baker followed, giving the Pythons the ball inside the five yard line. The Pythons went back to old faithful Conor ‘Moose’ Rooney to trundle in for the one yard touchdown.

The next drives saw an interception by James Disley, followed by Yarwood being intercepted by #17, and following the law of threes, another interception by Lajos Torok. With less than two minutes to go, the Pythons ran the ball to eat up the clock and win.