Library Nudity “Unacceptable”

Students at The Other Place’s Worcester College have been blasted by College Librarians for distracting other students with their “Half-Naked Half-Hours.”

Breakfast Club Dark Blue Exams hot Library LibraryWhispers naked Nudity Oxford revision Sex Unacceptable Worcester College

READ The Tab’s story from earlier today about Cambridge library antics here.

Students at Worcester College, Oxford, have come under fire for spicing up their revision once a week with a “Half-Naked Half-Hour”.

The practice, established in 2009 by a College society known as the Breakfast Club, was branded “a distraction to other readers” and “unacceptable” in an email from librarians, claiming there had been “a number of complaints”.

A typical Half-Naked Half-Hour would see between thirty and forty students stripping down then continuing to work for half an hour between 3pm and 4pm on Wednesdays.

To keep things tasteful, nudity generally does not generally extend below the waist.

No place for nudity – Worcester College Library

A member of the Breakfast Club, speaking to Cherwell, defended the practice on grounds of amusement and practicality:

“Half-naked half hour has long been a tradition at Worcester College as a way of breaking up the monotony of a long day’s revision and using the opportunity to cool down during the hottest periods of the day.”

There are also unsubstantiated rumours of girls removing their bras to mark the the weekly tradition.

The President of the Breakfast Club told Cherwell that the library’s edict against half-naked half hours: “has quite literally left our college in a state of chaos.”

But the Breakfast Club are still going strong, saying: “Beachwear Wednesdays, Suit Up Thursdays and Hat Saturdays have all had remarkable success”

Cambridge libraries don’t host any similar nudity based events, but if LibraryWhispers is anything to go by, Cambridge librarians have much worse to look out for than occasional bare chests: