Caius Cook Up Some Trouble

Anger boils over as Caius ban hobs from their student accommodation.

caius cooking Gonville and Caius hobs microwaves Students

Ever come home after a night out and have a strange craving for beans on toast? Sometimes can’t be bothered to be social in hall and just want to retire for the night with pasta and iPlayer?

Hope you aren’t at Caius then, as the college have disconnected the last remaining hobs in their student kitchens.

The unexpected move is the latest in a long run of bizarre Caian food rules, such as forcing the undergrads to buy forty hall tickets at the beginning of each term and cancelling their boozy dinners.

The decision has been met with outrage from students, particularly as Caius food is notorious for its dubious, some claim overpriced, delights: anyone who has sampled a Caius ‘taco’ will, apparently, understand.

The undergraduates are fuming, one student told The Tab: “it’s difficult enough to keep within my budget when I can plan what food I’m going to cook, but now it’s impossible. I chose my accommodation because it was somewhere that I could cater for myself.

“Forcing us into hall every night might be good for the college’s bank account but it certainly isn’t helping my overdraft.”

The college are taking a hard line, with the Senior Tutor Dr Holburn blaming the college’s Student Union for misleading students into thinking that they were competent enough to cook without burning anything.

Students are beginning to fight back: becoming creative with microwaves (which apparently can be used to make cakes), and George Foreman grills, which cook pizza nicely.

A third year student, who probably should know better, told The Tab that his attempt to use a candle to heat up soup “went fairly disastrously”.