Rugby Round-Up: Robinson and Emma Set For Promotion

The Tab brings you the latest results from rugby’s Division 3

college rugby division 3 rugby emma rugby homerton rugby robinson rugby

The Tab reviews the Division 3 season so far.

Two sides will be promoted from the Promotion League to Division 2, whilst the four teams in the League of Shame battle it out to avoid being officially branded the worst team in Cambridge. 

Promotion League

Robinson lead the way in the Promotion League with four wins from their opening five matches.  A lacklustre performance against Emma last Tuesday saw them lose their first game of the term. However they bounced back at the weekend, routing Homerton 57-0 and now need just one point to secure promotion. 

Emma are the only side with their 100% record still intact and look set to join Robinson in Division 2 next year. Their upcoming rematch with Robinson will determine who takes the title. 

Despite overcoming Division 2 side Fitz in the first round of Cuppers, CCK (the combined team from Clare, Corpus and King’s) are still without a win. They narrowly went down to Robinson 13-12 in a thrilling encounter and with victories over Homerton all but assured they still retain an slim chance of promotion. 

Whipping boys Homerton have scored just 21 points in four outings. The reigning college Sevens champions will have to put in a good run in Cuppers if they are to give their fans anything to cheers about.

Homerton utility back Jon Crook told The Tab his reasons for his side’s poor performances: “We fell foul to bad weather and even worse haircuts. Also our college are being absolute bell-ends and not allowing us to train on college grounds so our on-field organisation has gone to pot.” 

Remaining Fixtures

Emma vs Robinson

CCK vs Homerton

CCK vs Emma 

CCK vs Homerton

CCK vs Emma

League of Shame

Churchill are in the driving seat in the basement of college rugby. With four wins under their belt they sit atop the table and are favourites to earn the rather dubious distinction of being crowned “League of Shame Champions”.

Sidney are the only other side still in contention for the title. They are the only team in the division to have beaten Churchill, running out victors 22-10 on that occasion.

Sidney vice-captain Dan Penman told The Tab: “The season is going pretty damn well. We deserved to get into the promotion league but one or two games cost us. We’re going to win the League Of Shame instead.”

Meanwhile Christ’s and Caius are locked in an almighty tussle to avoid being awarded the wooden spoon

Remaining Fixtures

Caius vs Sidney

Christ’s vs Sidney

Caius vs Sidney

Caius vs Churchill

For more of The Tab’s coverage of college rugby click here