Football Round-up: Catz Choke, Downing Win Again

The Tab rounds up the action from this weekend’s Division 1 Football – read more here.

catz football christ's football college football dom st george downing football jesus football josh mcevoy Pembroke football rory mcgrath trinity football

Every week The Tab  brings you match reports and results from Division 1 Football.

Downing 3 – 1 Pembroke

‘We don’t muck about’ was Downing captain Tom Marsh’s verdict after he saw his side continue their relentless march towards the Division 1 title. Although Pembroke’s skipper Neshat was delighted with his side’s performance, it still leaves them deep in the relegation mire, particularly since fellow strugglers John’s still have a game in hand. Downing went into the break with a two goal advantage, the goals from Marsh and Sellman being either a ‘training ground move’ and a ‘deft lob’ or ‘messy’ and ‘fortuitous’ depending on which colour you were wearing.

A daft handball from Josh McEvoy riled his captain, gifting Pembroke a life-line but ultimately the League Leaders’ class showed, as they closed off the game comfortably, Tom Clare also getting his name on the score sheet. Marsh later criticised Pembroke striker ‘Jonesy’ for his needless verbals and poor banter, as Downing had the last laugh.

Christ’s 5 – 3 Catz

Cambridge alumnus Rory McGrath was an interested spectator as a stunning second-half comeback leaves Catz stranded at the bottom of the table and gives Christ’s some much-needed breathing space. Though Catz were 3-1 up at half-time the away side’s morale disintegrated as Christ’s hit back with four unanswered goals.

McGrath would have appreciated Catz’s comedic defending, described by Christ’s captain Dom St George as ‘very dubious’. Stephen ‘Gas’ Harrison took full advantage, grabbing a brace as he continues his remarkable run of scoring in every game. Just to rub salt into the wounds, Catz were caught napping after the final whistle as Christ’s stole all their footballs.

St John’s 2 – 5 Trinity

In match with important implications at both ends of the table, Trinity ran riot over their biggest rivals. A ‘heated’ game saw Trinity dominate from start to finish and maintain the pressure on Downing who remain 3 points above them. While Danny Gammall got two of the Trinity goals, hero of the day undoubtedly goes to Matt Smith, who managed to bag a goal, be man of the match and miss the final twenty minutes due to a damaged eye ball.

Despite being down to ten men in his absence St John’s never looked likely to get a result and stay teetering on the edge of the relegation zone.  Their captain refused to comment on their situation after the game.

Fitzwilliam 2 – 1 Girton

Fitz came out narrowly on top in this tight encounter, leaving Girton clinging by a thread to their title ambitions. Akram and Ayres scored for Fitz, with Tom Bordell scoring for Girton.

Click here for The Tab’s full match report of this crucial game.

Emma P – P Jesus

Just one fixture was postponed this week due to adverse weather conditions. Jesus, who have struggled for form this season, will be eager to use this game against mid-table Emma to springboard a possible end of season charge. Emma, meanwhile, need to ensure that they don’t get sucked in to the unfolding relegation battle.

For more of The Tab’s coverage of college Football, click here.