Underwear as Outerwear

If you’re looking for a way to update your look for spring then showing off your underwear could just be the thing to catapult you straight into next season. No […]

6 of the best of the best underwear

If you’re looking for a way to update your look for spring then showing off your underwear could just be the thing to catapult you straight into next season. No doubt inspired by half-naked pop starlets Lady Gaga and Pixie Lott, now the fashion elite are clambering aboard this trend too- even the chronically well dressed Olivia Palermo has been spotted out and about in a corset/knitwear combo so you just know this style is going to be HUGE in 2010, as evidence by Christian Dior’s fabulously glamorous Spring/Summer 10 take on the look.

With this look you can be as daring or as understated as you like, but if you want to be admired rather than ogled then take a subtle approach and try layered corsets, sheer bodysuits peeking out from underneath knitwear and dresses that could pass for nighties, and you’ll be on the right track. My personal favourite is this sumptuous (and slightly pricey) Karen Millen lingerie dress but you can also check out Topshop and All Saints for cheaper alternatives as they give a nod to the trend with their corset-inspired shirts and shorts. Also worth a look is the new Trompe L’oeil range (literally meaning trick of the eye) from Oasis where they’ve helpfully painted underwear onto the clothes for you. Simple as that.