These are the most underrated pubs in Bristol according to Bristol students

Sometimes the hidden gems are just, well, better

Whilst we all know and love Brass Pig, Steam and even Spoons (not all of us love Spoons), a packed and popular space doesn’t really gel with the current Covid predicament.

And honestly, sometimes the hidden gems are just, well, better. The Bristol Tab asked our Instagram followers what Bristol students’ favourite underrated spots are for a night out down the pub, and here’s what they had to say.

The Golden Guinea

Tucked away in Redcliffe, this hole-in-the-wall can sometimes be overshadowed by The Ostrich, a huge pub just down the road. However, the Golden Guinea has a beer garden to rival most. Decked out with graffiti (a Bristol classic), funky lighting and heaters, a necessity as we’re not quite out of the cold and into t-shirt weather.

The Golden Guinea is currently accepting walk-ins and has a banging cider range, so get down there for a pint or ten.

The Robin Hood

The Robin Hood can be found just down the hill from the ASS library and Woodland Road campus, making it an ideal location if you’re one of the lucky few on a course that requires you to go to in-person lectures.

With friendly staff and cute decor, a pint in the Robin Hood’s chill little beer garden will be sure to help you blow off steam. Offering student discounts on drinks, board games and a great range of beer and cider, the Robin Hood has earned its status as one of Bristol’s best-kept secrets.

The Colston Arms

The Colston Arms (name change still under consideration) is practically right next to the Robin Hood, so pub crawl enthusiasts get your notebooks out. The pub has a brilliant beer garden, which would serve as the perfect backdrop to anyone’s ~summer vibes~.

The selection of beer and cider makes the trek up Christmas Steps worth it, and the pub’s vicinity to the Woodland Road campus means that when you’re done procrastinating for hours in the ASS you can reward yourself for your non-revision with a pint down the Colston Arms.

The Mother’s Ruin

The Mother’s Ruin is the definition of a hidden gem, nestled away by Saint Nicholas’ Market in the very heart of the city. The Mother’s ruin describes itself as an “unpretentious hangout”, and its funky decor and branding is reminiscent of a sick jazz bar you’d see in a movie.

The bar has a great range of cocktails and beers at really good prices. As the prospect of indoor dining draws nearer and nearer, it’s important to keep in mind that the Mother’s Ruin is renowned for its live music. Heads up, the bar is open until 2am, making it a perfect spot for afters or the end of a pub crawl.

The Cat and Wheel

The Cat and Wheel in Cotham, a short walk from the city centre, is a great place to retreat to after a day of mooching around Stokes Croft and Gloucester Road now that shops are open. Boasting a sizeable garden, the Cat and Wheel is an underrated treasure in close proximity to some great independent vintage and home shops.

In the days of normality, the Cat and Wheel hosts karaoke and disco nights, which is definitely something to keep in mind as we inch closer and closer to restrictions being lifted.

The Full Moon

Located about halfway between the centre and Stokes Croft, The Full Moon draws you in with its boldly spray-painted exterior and huge size. First and foremost a backpacker’s hostel but also a great night out, The Full Moon is usually bright and bustling with a good-sized heated garden and a pub dog.

Its location in Stokes Croft, a neighbourhood in Bristol notorious for its nightlife yet just out of the way enough to not be crawling with freshers, really lends to The Full Moon’s charm and gives you the full Bristol local experience.

The Ostrich

Rounding off the list is the aforementioned Ostrich. Despite its plentiful outside seating, the Ostrich’s location in Redcliffe makes it a safe bet for getting a place as many newcomers to the city won’t think to venture south of the river.

Not just a one-trick pony, The Ostrich serves food and drink (not to be dramatic, but I’d die for the loaded fries), perfect for when the drunk hunger is starting to kick in. The outdoor seating makes for amazing views of the river and Bristol by day and night.