Confirmed: Teaching at Bristol Uni will be moved online until mid-February

All libraries, except from the ASS, will close

Bristol Uni have confirmed all teaching will be moved online until mid-February following the government’s lockdown announcement last night.

In an email sent to students by Pro-Vice Chancellor for Student Experience, Sarah Purdy, Bristol Uni confirmed students should “stay where you are and not return” to campus if still at home.

Previously, Bristol Uni had been planning phased returns to campus over a two-week period starting from 25th January.

Bristol Uni have also announced they will be closing all libraries except for the Arts and Social Sciences library, which will remain open for “urgent access only”. Online Library support will remain open.

Students studying courses with practical requirements – including medics, trainee teachers and dentists are still required to return to university. Students who are returning should either take two lateral-flow coronavirus tests or self-isolate for 10 days once they arrive back in Bristol.

The email also re-iterated the government’s stay at home message: “Whether you are in halls of residence or private accommodation, you should only socialise within your Living Circle or household. You should only go out for exercise, to get food or medical supplies, or for medical appointments.”

In the email Purdy recognised that “entering a third national lockdown is disappointing for us all after the challenges of last year – but I am sure that if we all do our part, we can help overcome the virus. As ever, wellbeing support is available via the Wellbeing Access point as well as our online self-help resources.”

So far there has been no update on the safety net policy which is reportedly being “discussed” by the university. This morning a spokesperson for the university acknowledged “how important in-person teaching is for our students” and committed to offering “the best possible education”.

The University have promised to regularly update students as they “develop further plans for the Spring Term”.