Image may contain: Human, Person

Bristol students organise charity club night as tribute to late UoB student, Bertie Crawford

‘In:Memory’ will take place at The Island, Bristol

Bristol students are running a club night in honour of Bertie Crawford, a second year English student who passed away in November last year.

‘In:Memory’, which has already completely sold out, will take place on the 8th February at The Island, Bristol.

According to the event page: "All profits will be going to the Samaritans; an incredible charity who offer help and a safe space to so many people in crisis."

Image may contain: Paper, Letter, Document, Text, Page

A description of the event on the In:Memory Facebook page

Jessie Owens, second-year English student and co-organiser of the event, told The Bristol Tab: "We wanted to make something positive out of a situation which seemed only dark and to raise money for a charity that really helps people in the hope that another life can be saved."

When asked why she thought a club night would be a fitting tribute, Jessie responded: "Bertie was basically the embodiment of techno. He probably dreamed about it."

Theo Kemp, a second year Biochemistry student and co-organiser of ‘In:Memory’, commented: "Dance music has a way of bringing people together under one roof, which nothing else really compares to.

"Present worries seem like a distant memory for those few blissful hours of enjoyment. Bertie bought into this idea more than most, so bringing people together for that very reason seemed like an obvious thing to do."

Image may contain: Text, Human, Person, File, Interior Design, Indoors

Josie Corke also recalled memories of her housemate Bertie and his passion for music: "The soundtrack to my life in the house was a never-ending stream of techno coming from Bertie’s room."

Corke detailed how one time "he spent the entire day DJ-ing and bopping in his room and then went to Motion until he was quite literally forced out at close. When we checked his phone, he’d done 53,000 steps."

‘In:Memory’, which is yet to take place, will undoubtedly be a success. The love and bravery shown in creating this event as well as the emphatic support it has already received, is a testament to the strength of the community at Bristol University.

Whilst the event is sold out, you can still contribute to the Just Giving page by following this link.

Cover photo credit: Jessie Owens and Josie Corke