Why are avocados so expensive?

A modern tragedy

Hide Images

I freaking love avocados.

In my family, avocados are king and may god have mercy on your soul if you eat someone else’s avocado. This has been the case long before hipsters decided that avocado toast was a culinary revolution.

Personally, I am not surprised that so many people are obsessed with this humble fruit, (yes, avocados are a fruit). They’re packed with vitamins, minerals etc.

Before I start waxing lyrical about how wonderful avocados are like some kind of wellness witch, there is a twist.

As you may have guessed, I am a member of the almost cultish section of twenty something millennials who worship the humble avocado. But I do not buy them nearly as often as I would like to for one simple reason.

They are so so expensive.

I am aware that this is the epitome of a first world problem, but I am told that there has been an avocado shortage due to a drought in California which has left hipsters and the like in a hysterical panic about what will happen to their favourite food.

The truth hits you when you get to the produce section of the supermarket…the avocados are more expensive than any other fruit.

You can get a pack of six or more apples for a pound, but the same amount of avocados will put you back by far more.

We are humble avocado loving students and we aren’t made of money, where is the justice in this world?

As if this weren’t bad enough, they just put prices up this week in most supermarkets.

Why should I have to pay 20p more for an item that is exactly the same as it was last week. No extras or improvement, this is a fucking travesty. Because let’s face it, salad is shit without avocados.

I expect at least a little hat for my avocado if shops insist on pricing food in line with the rate of inflation. Like the fruit friends in Miranda, it should be a thing.

It is true that cheap food and clothes come at a cost to the people who produce them, usually in less developed countries. And for that reason I will cease my whining, but for the sake of hyperbole, I require an answer to my question.