A swift pint in a Kent pub with Nigel Farage

He thinks we should ‘make a fortune’ out of foreign students

national noad

UKIP are undoubtedly the most controversial of the leading parties vying for our vote in the upcoming general election. From accusations of racism, to the infamous blaming of the floods on legislation permitting gay marriage by UKIP councillor David Silvester, the party has rarely been far from the headlines.

Nigel Farage, the man at the helm of the party, is often seen sporting a pint and a cigarette, perpetuating the image of “normality” which UKIP heavily relies upon in order to garner the votes of the masses.

Completely by accident, I stopped by at the Windmill Pub in Ramsgate, Kent and had a chat with the man himself. Unsurprisingly, when I arrived, Farage was working his way through a pint and had a cigarette perched between his fingers.

Beautiful

More surprising was the omission of a hefty security team. Farage’s party consisted of one man, who jovially asked me who I was voting for and whether I was even old enough to vote, before offering his services as a human “selfie-stick”- not the intimidating presence that you’d expect to be accompanying a man attempting to alter the course of British politics.

Farage allowed me to ask him a few questions, but only under the premise that I was “nice” – which, as anyone who reads this website knows, was something I was able to wholeheartedly confirm I would be. I found out how Farage feels about universities, tuition fees, anti-UKIP feeling amongstudents, and what he thinks will make a student vote for him.

He’s so normal, he even does selfies

As The Tab’s readers are predominantly university students, how do you feel about the current state of the higher education system?

“I think there are far too many people going to university. There are too many young people going to university, leaving with less useful degrees, and wasting their time and money. Universities have created a sort of inverse snobbery against trade and skills, which is wrong. More people should be aiming for apprenticeships, and less going to study.

“However, in the United Kingdom, we have a huge shortage of scientists, technicians, engineers, and even- would you believe it- nurses and doctors! That’s why, ideally, I would like to remove tuition fees in these areas, to encourage more people to study the relevant subjects.”

If you did manage to remove tuition fees in these areas, how would you propose universities deal with the loss in funds?

“Nowadays, universities are as much a business as any other. Something I am all for is foreign students. I think it’s brilliant that they’re coming over here to study. As long as it’s not all for illegal immigration, let’s make a fortune out of it!”

What’s your opinion on the prevalence of anti-UKIP sentiment among students?

“From a young age, you’re told a certain way of thinking in schools, and this continues throughout secondary school, and through to university. Even the communists weren’t as good at infiltration, It’s about thinking differently.”

What would make a student vote for UKIP, if you believe they’re victims of much indoctrination?

“Bravery. A student must be quite brave to do it – especially against the prevailing consensus encouraged at all levels, and which is factually wrong.”

Farage finished our interview by performing the often cringe-inducing ritual favoured by current politicians: the taking of the selfie.

I left Farage to his pint, and to the pub-goers who were beginning to approach him, desperate to have a drink with the media’s favourite “working-class bloke”.

Could this be our future prime-minister- a man seemingly more comfortable within the smoke-ridden haze of pub gardens than behind the hallowed ebony door to Number 10? If he does make it, let’s hope one thing is certain: Nige will take one for the team and get a round in for all us indoctrinated students.

Now read our interviews with Labour leader Ed Miliband and head of the Greens Natalie Bennett.

And, if you’re David Cameron or Nick Clegg and are feeling left out, email [email protected] and we’ll interview you too.