What’s on? Your definitive guide to the best of Brum’s drama scene

For when the hangover is so bad, and you need some culture to get through it.

Whether you are studying drama at university or love to watch theatre, Birmingham is awash with places where you can go to have fun. With the upcoming festivities, you may also be interested in watching some panto or ballet. As a drama enthusiast myself here are some of the places I’ve been eyeing up around Brum.

Birmingham Hippodrome

Located in the middle of the Chinese Quarter in Birmingham City Centre, it is very easily accessible from university. Currently showing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, alongside smaller plays. Coming up in late November to December is The Nutcracker! Why not go to the Christmas markets and round up the festivities by watching this festive ballet, or you could treat yourself to watching Jack and the Beanstalk the upcoming panto.

The Rep Birmingham

Located just next to Birmingham City Library, a stone’s throw away from Broad Street, you could go out after immersing yourself in some great entertainment! Straight from the West End, comes The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and it is sure to be an excellent show. A new musical is appearing at The Rep next February, Bhangra Nation and it looks to be highly entertaining and enjoyable. The Rep is also right next to some really great restaurants such as Rosa’s Thai and Dishoom, so you can have a great night all round!

Midlands Art Centre (MAC)

Something I love about the MAC is that it isn’t just a place to watch theatre, there is so much more to it. Located near the Edgbaston Cricket Stadium, in Canon Hill Park just a short walk from Selly Oak, you can go to the art market, or have a look at some of the artwork they have on display. With an on-site cinema, you are never short of something to watch. From short plays to dance, there’s something for everyone, and I, myself am eyeing up watching their production of The Four Seasons. There’s also a really quaint cafe on site, with sandwiches and coffee at a decent price.

The Alexandra

The Alexandra is a beautiful theatre located in the city centre, with affordable tickets on sale for a variety of performances. On the first Friday of every month, The Alexandra showcases chamber concerts from BCU students, and there is always plenty of cake and coffee on sale. With upcoming shows such as Peter Pan The Musical and the dance crew Diversity, you better snatch up some tickets whilst you can. On a side note, the seats are also so comfy, so you can relax and unwind in comfort.

Crescent Theatre Birmingham

Located in Birmingham City centre, the theatre is run by volunteers and is celebrating 100 years in the city. Showing screenings of National Theatre productions, alongside live productions such as the upcoming Legends of Motown or A Christmas Carol, you can be sure of a high-quality experience. As it is a slightly smaller theatre, you feel more immersed in the performance, and you will be guaranteed a great trip.

Symphony Hall Birmingham

Symphony Hall is located in Centenary Square and is a large concert hall to watch excellent live music. From Jazz music to brass bands to excellent theatrical singers such as Beverly Knight, there is always an awash of music to choose from. If you do not fancy listening to some music, then you can enjoy poetry slam contests or book signings here instead.

Concerts at Birmingham Cathedral

Located in Pigeon Park a short walk from New Street Station is Birmingham Cathedral. Offering live music events by candlelight as well as a section of film screenings, the events are hugely popular. A firm favourite has to be Taylor Swift by Candlelight, the upcoming showing of The Muppets Christmas Carol is something I’m especially looking forward to. It is a truly magical experience, and the views of stained glass windows add to the wonderful experience. The Cathedral boasts a stocked bar and and some great restaurants in the surrounding streets.

On campus events 

The Guild has lots of drama groups in which you can get yourself involved, from Three Bugs Fringe Theatre Society to the Guild Musical Theatre Society. With upcoming performances of Dogfight, Blood Wedding and Laugh and Laugh Nots on campus, get yourself some cheap tickets and support your fellow students.

• Just 10 fun and booze-free activities that students can do in Birmingham

A fresher’s guide to being an academic weapon: University of Birmingham edition

• These are the top 10 date spots in Brum this cuffing season