A woman has been charged after a stabbing in Selly Oak

The victim was said to be in ‘critical’ condition in hospital

A man in his 20s was rushed to hospital on Saturday 26 February after being involved in a stabbing described by the police at the scene as a “domestic incident.”

The altercation occurred on Milner Road in Selly Oak. Police were called to the scene around 9:30 am in relation to “reports of a disorder.”

21-year-old Nishat Hassan has since been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.

West Midlands Police told Birmingham Live: “A man in his 20s was stabbed inside an address and was taken to hospital.” The victim was said to be in “critical” condition on Sunday 27 February.

Neighbours have commented on the living situation in Selly Oak, telling Birmingham Live the area is a quiet place to live.

Tracey Bates, 57, who has lived on the street for 38 years, told Birmingham Live:  “It was cordoned off at the bottom of the road and there was a police car in the road at the top. That started at about 9:30 am.

“I did hear screaming earlier this morning,” she said.

“There was an ambulance here too and one of those first responder cars. We’re not used to it, we don’t have this kind of thing happening in this street. It’s a nice area, quite quiet apart from when people are leaving the pub on a Friday night,” Tracey explained to Birmingham Live.

Nishat Hassan, aged 21, has been arrested by West Midlands Police on suspicion of attempted murder and remained in custody the day after the altercation took place.

She appeared in front of the Birmingham Magistrate’s Court on Monday and has been charged with wounding with intent, and possession of a knife.

Hassan is expected to appear in Birmingham Crown Court on Monday 28 March and will remain in custody until then.

There have been no updates on the “critical” condition of the male victim in his 20s.

Witnesses are urged to contact West Midlands Police via live chat at west-midlands.police.uk, quoting log 1110 of February 26.