10 alternative study spaces instead of working from home

‘I’m claustrophobic Darren!’

With lockdown 2.0 in full swing, it’s likely that you’re fed up of the same routine, spending five hours on a two hour lecture – all day, everyday.

Instead, why not venture out to the study spaces that are still open across campus to try and get some serious work done.

Worth noting that these spaces do NOT require booking, although due to COVID there is reduced capacity.

Here are some alternatives to get you out of the house and change-up your working environment.

Murray Learning Centre

There are over 110 computers available to use and this is the only study space (other than the main library) to be open on campus over the weekend, making it accessible whenever you need it.

Monday to Friday is open from 7am to 1am (the following morning). Whilst weekends have reduced hours of 9am to 7pm.

The Loft

University centre

Located at the top of University Centre, the Loft offers a mixture of  15 computers and 52 study spaces. Ideal for those who don’t want the intense environment of the library, as its laidback atmosphere creates a chill work vibe.

Open Monday to Friday from 8.45am to 10pm.

Gisbert Kapp Building – The Link and EGO2 learning suite

Gisbert Kapp

An excellent space to go if you’re waiting in-between seminars or you need to stop somewhere for a break.

Open Monday to Friday from 9am to 6pm.

Aston Webb: Hub Study Lounge

Back Bramall

One of the smaller spaces available on campus with limited computer access available, however its quiet working environment makes it a great place to study.

Open Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm.

52 Pritchatts Road

If you’re a first year this may appeal to you. This study space is on the doorstep of Pritchatt’s Park. Known as a quiet study area this would be a great break away from halls.

Open Monday to Friday from 9am to 6pm.

Strathcona Building

Strathcona

Ample computing facilities available here, many are unaware of this study space. So, take advantage of this and get down to the beautiful round building.

Open Monday to Friday 7am to 9pm.

Teaching & Learning Building

The newest addition to campus is a great place to work with large amounts of seating available. It is worth knowing that there aren’t any computer facilities available; so other study areas may be more suitable for you.

Open Monday to Friday 8am to 10pm – but entry after 6pm requires your university ID card.

Nuffield Learning Centre

nuttfield

Situated behind the Physics building, the Nuffield offers a combination of study spaces and computer access.

Open Monday to Friday 8am to 6.30pm.

Garner Learning Suite

An informal study area which allows for more sociable study (whilst maintaining social distancing measures of course).

Open Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm.

Mason Lounge

art

Located in the Arts building, this study area provides computer and printing facilities. However, spacing here is limited so if you wish to get your place here you may want to set off earlier in the day.

Open Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm.

And remember… don’t forget your mask (unless exempt)!