University to remain open if Birmingham moves into tier three

‘Based on current government advice and the experience in other cities, that at Tier 3 the University will remain open.’

The university has stated they intend to remain open if Birmingham moves into tier three, “based on current government advice and the experience in other cities.”

Birmingham is set to move into tier three next week as hospitalisations and the number of cases continue to rise.

Other universities in cities facing a tier three lockdown, such as Lancaster and Sheffield, have continued in-person teaching where possible.

A spokesperson for the University of Birmingham told The Birmingham Tab: “We are in regular contact with students as our planning adapts to the changing circumstances and will let all students know as soon as possible about any changes to our current provision.”

Currently, a decision has not yet been made about when, if at all, Birmingham will move into tier three. However, as cases are continuing to rise, it seems very likely that Birmingham will face higher restrictions soon.

The university are using guidance from “current government advice and the experience in other cities, that at Tier three the University will remain open,” they told The Birmingham Tab.

A spokesperson for the university said: “The University remains in daily contact with the city’s Director of Public Health, and should the city be placed into Tier 3, we will agree the detail of what activity will remain on campus in conjunction with the Public Health Team.”

Any adaptations to the current learning environment, “would be taken very carefully, consistent with Government advice, with the educational, health and wellbeing needs of students at the centre of discussions,” the University told The Birmingham Tab.

Guidance and advice for students at the university concerned about the current coronavirus outbreak can be found here.