Image may contain: Person, People, Human

Just because I don’t have exams doesn’t mean I have it easy

I have a tough time too, okay.

Most people I know at UoB are currently stressing themselves out because they have exams to study for. They're at the library 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and not going out- meaning I don't see them for days at a time. The thing about that is, I'm doing the same.

Image may contain: Keyboard, Pc, Laptop, Electronics, Computer

Assignment number one of many, in fact

We still have deadlines…

People seem to think I have it easy because I don't have January exams, but this could not be further from the truth. For a joint honours student like myself, the first week back after Christmas – also known as Deadline Week for some – consists of furiously trying to complete four assignments at once, while simultaneously reading a stack of books to fill up those all important word counts. Stress level: 50 %.

…While starting new modules

If that wasn't bad enough, the first week back also means that you have probably started new modules and are learning new materials while still trying to get a grasp on what you have just spent all of the first semester learning. Balancing the little time you have between endless deadline assignments and trying to get ahead of the new material you have just had dumped on you is one difficult situation. Stress level: 80 %.

We don't get a head start

To top it all off, those who don't have exams in January will ultimately be less equipped when it comes to the summer exam period beginning in May. We will have no way of knowing how to react when walking into that daunting exam hall for the first time; we will have no time to get a grip with a brand new exam setting – mock exams hardly count. Stress level: 100 %.

Exams are a scary time in any case, so not having them this month only frightens me even more and certainly does not mean I have it easy.

Although you might think otherwise, I can promise you that not having exams is just as daunting as if I had them this month. Trust me.