The Ultimate Glitter Guide: make-up for every event

For those who want to wear glitter every time they leave the house

birmingham fashion glitter make up rainbow selly oak the tab the tab birmingham the tab brum university of birmingham UoB

If you’re a true glitter girl, you’ll want any excuse to glitter up regardless of where you’re going. With the help of Ellena Bleathman, the Tab has put together a few looks for various occasions to allow you to incorporate glitter into every event.

LOOK 1: Rainbow glitter

Step 1

Prep your base – primer, foundation, concealer.

Step 2

Eyebrows and Eyes – eyeliner, mascara, eyeshadow, eyebrows.

Step 3

Main gem – if you’re adding a gem, do it now!

Step 4

Glitter time – add your glitter.

Tips: For this look, if you’re using fine glitter build up the colour in a ‘C’ shape. The top and bottom of the ‘C’ should be lighter and the curve of the ‘C’ should be darker, creating a shadow. Use your eyebrow as a guide for where to start and finish the ‘C’. Using finer light glitter and chunky dark glitter will make your glitter stand out more.

To make sure your glitter stays all night use a wet-look hair gel, such as Vo5, or a foundation primer.

Step 5

Lipstick – now apply your lip primer, liner and lipstick and you’re ready.

img_5285

LOOK 2: Purple party 

Step 1

Prep your base and eye make-up.

img_6302

Step 2

Paint your face with alternating white and purple.

img_5284

Step 3

Once the face paint has dried the glitter fun starts. Use different coloured glitter to create drama, filling in purple paint with glitter. For this look, we mixed purple glitter and then darker glitter in thin lines to create shadows on the purple. Cover the white paint with silver glitter to finish the look.

img_5278

Step 4

Add some matching lippy and you’re good to go.

img_5739

LOOK 3Glitter freckles

Step 1

As always, prep your face and eyes.

Step 2

Prep your base for glitter freckles – we suggest either hair gel, Vaseline or concealer primer.

Step 3

Evenly distribute the stars (or other glitter). For individual specks of glitter use tweezers to arrange the glitter evenly.

Step 4

Final step – lips. For this, we prepped with lip primer, added some silver glitter and some blue stars, and topped with clear lipgloss.

Look 4: Hide-your-dark-circles glitter 

Step 1

Prep your base – foundation, concealer, etc. (you’ve got the gist by now)

Step 2

Eyes – eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara.

Step 3

Glitter prep – as before, hair gel or foundation primer work great!

Step 4

Time to glitter – add glitter (following the outline of your eye).

img_5289

Look 5: Golden girl 

Step 1

Prep your base.

Step 2

Eyes – start with gold eyeshadow, then work a bronze eyeshadow into the outer corners. Next, add eyeliner, mascara and heaps of highlighter under the brow bridge, nose and cheeks.

Step 3

Now it’s time to glitter. Using fine gold glitter start from the outside of the eyelid and work round to the underpart of your eye (another opportunity to cover any dark circles).

Step 4  

Add chunkier and darker gold glitter fanning out in a circle from above your eyebrow to the centre of the eye.

Step 5

Add lipstick and you’re done.