Cornwall and Devon have absolutely nothing on Somerset

No, we don’t say ‘Oo arr’

bath beaches birmingham cheddar cheese cornwall countryside county cs devon glastonbury home hot fuzz Jacqueline Wilson Jenson Button Mary Berry Russell Howard shepton mallet somerset students tab birmingham the south the tab UoB wells

Somerset is hands down the best county in the country to live. While it has rolling hills and endless moors, with tens of country estates to boot, it has some of the prettiest beaches too.

But Devon and Cornwall have the same, and Lancashire and Yorkshire too, right? Although these counties also have Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, I’m sorry but none of them can beat Somerset.

We’re better than Devon and Cornwall

Devon and Cornwall are frequently visited by tourists, or ‘grockles’ as we call them, making popular towns over-run in the summer months. And the road systems, or distinct lack of established roads with white lines in the middle and not grass, lend themselves to the fact that Devon and Cornwall are, arguably, that bit too far away to really bother with.  Plus, they’re so mainstream.  Everyone goes to Cornwall for their summer getaway and those who can’t afford Cornwall settle for Devon.  But what about Somerset?  It’s way nicer and also a little more off the beaten track.

And we beat Lancashire and Yorkshire. Just saying. 

Let’s not even start with Lancashire and Yorkshire. While the North hold some of the most friendly people, there’s a reason why the capital is in the South. Us Southerners don’t like to stray too far even for a holiday, and even then we’d rather go somewhere warm and pretty, not cold and rainy, though (apparently) it’s meant to be beautiful.

Pretty big celebs grew up in Somerset

Game of Thrones has a HUGE place in our hearts, and its very own Arya Stark, the actress Maisie Williams, grew up here. Not to mention Mary Berry, Jenson Button, Russell Howard, JACQUELINE WILSON…Need I go on?

Your favourite movie was filmed here

Hot Fuzz was everyone’s favourite film back in the day, and it’s everyone’s favourite claim to fame in Somerset (we don’t get many other opportunities, do we? NARP). And many director’s have followed suit with Les Miserables and Elizabeth, The Golden Age being filmed here too.

You can’t beat Bath

Listen up avid Articulate fans

The “world” questions are always the hardest and you have all wondered where Shepton Mallet is. It’s a town. It’s in Somerset. And it has England’s oldest civilian prison.

We have Wells, the smallest city in England

This little beauty has only 12,000 inhabitants and almost as many coffee shops. Its picturesque streets, Cathedral and Bishop’s Palace with moat attract tourists from all over. Many even come on pilgrimage to the 13th century Cathedral that gives Wells its city status. Most of us go for the year six carol service and a nosy of the markets.

Cheddar – the cheese came after the place

My little village of Mark is situated only 30 minutes from Wells, 35 minutes from Bristol and, most importantly, only 15 minutes away from Cheddar. Your favourite and go to cheese was made in the caves of Cheddar Gorge, just down the road from me.

We have Glastonbury Festival

We know you’re all really jealous of this gem. People go to great lengths to get tickets all around the world, and we go even further. Despite living only 30 minutes away from Glastonbury, to ensure tickets we’ve been known to travel to Edinburgh to get the bus down to where we live. Seven hours is no big deal, but Glastonbury Festival is a massive deal. With countless celebrities visiting every year, Somerset has been placed firmly on the map.

So while I’m sure where you live is, in your opinion, pretty great, Somerset is hands down the best place to live. And although you haven’t heard of Mark, my small home village of around 1,000 people gives you a real taste of country living. No where else will you see your local MP walk down the street wearing Hunter wellies, or have an endless cheese supply on your doorstep.