Free tampons are the best thing the Guild has ever done

Big up

birmingham brum free periods guild of students tampon tax tampons university of birmingham

The latest Guild initiative of giving out free tampons is being met with nothing but praise.

Guild Representation and Resources Officer, Daisy Lindlar, came up with the idea in response to the tampon tax, which has been widely condemned throughout the year.

Speaking to The Tab, Daisy said: “The average person who has periods uses 11,000 sanitary products in a lifetime, which will cost about £18,000.

“No student should have to be out of pocket because of their period or have to go to unhealthy measures to avoid having one.

“They can also be unpredictable, and you shouldn’t have to miss time in lectures or sports and societies meeting because you weren’t prepared for your period.

“I hope having free access to sanitary products will benefit our students in loads of ways.”

Hallelujah

Third year English and History student Bethany thinks it’s a great idea.

She said: “I’m all up for it. It’s a good thing because tampons are just so expensive.  We shouldn’t be taxed for a basic female function.”

Third year Music student Lizzy added: “I’m glad tampons are free and available in the Guild because sometimes you forget to bring them and it’s just a disaster.”

Third year Nursing student Candice shares this enthusiasm, although has some concerns about people taking advantage of the Guild’s generosity.

She said: “Practicality wise, I think it’s an excellent idea as I’m sure all of us girls have needed an emergency tampon at some point, and it’s really embarrassing to have to ask someone.

“But I worry this could end up being quite expensive for the Guild – will people take more than they actually need

“Regardless of whether they have a tampon in their bag or not, people might just take them because they’re there and they’re free.”

The Guild has also been praised by the University’s Women’s Association, who are hailing Daisy as the “Queen of Tampons”.

Long live Queen Daisy: the new feminist icon on campus.