Queen’s grad Ellen Murray is the first trans person to stand for election in NI

A huge step forward for the LGBT community

In what will be remembered as a momentous occasion in Northern Irish history, QUB grad Ellen Murray has become the first transgender person to stand for election in Northern Ireland.

She will run as a candidate for the Green Party in West Belfast at the upcoming Assembly elections.

Ellen has been a vocal and active activist for LGBT rights in recent years, being the chairperson of LGBT support organisation Cara-Friend and a chairperson for GenderJam NI, a peer support and advocacy group for the transgender, gender variant and inter-sex people in Northern Ireland.

Ellen is the first trans MLA candidate in Northern Ireland

Ellen Murray said: “I am delighted and excited to put my name forward as a Green Party candidate in the upcoming Assembly election. Having spent a number of years working with marginalised young people, I believe the time is right for change in Northern Ireland, to bring about equality for all.

“There is clear under-representation of many groups within the Assembly, including women, young people and the LGBTQ community. I will to give a voice to those who need it most. I am standing for election because I believe that our political system, which impinges on every aspect of our lives, should be accessible to everyone.

“As a young, queer, trans woman, I hope that standing for election as an MLA will offer choice and hope for those who need it most.”

The next election for the Northern Ireland Assembly is scheduled to occur on 5 May, 2016.