We now have a really, really fancy post-grad centre

Where’s the money come from?

building cuts losses new post grad

Queen’s have opened a brand new post-grad centre this week – costing a whopping £4 million.

The centre, in the Lynn Building, was both a remodelling and restoration of the historic Grade B listed building, which first opened 1865 as a library, with an extension added in 1911.

Outside, the red brick walls have been restored, the roof replaced, and stone steps removed for easier access.

The inside has been completely refurbished, with designs paying homage to the original open and vaulted interior.

We can’t deny it’s somewhere a postgraduate would love to spend their time: it makes the McClay seem downright miserable.

The new facility features a new reception and administrative support space, training facilities, meeting rooms, social spaces as well as a Postgraduate Study room.

It also looks a bit like Hogwarts, and who doesn’t love that.

Those lucky enough to grab a place at Queen’s in the future will probably love studying in here.

And for those who can’t get in due to the massive cuts, these pictures are the closest you’ll get.

But the opening comes in the aftermath of some tough news for the University.

The Department of Employment and Learning announced a reduction in funding of £8 million, prompting the cutting of 236 jobs and more than 1,000 student places.