Two monkeys nicknamed Bonnie and Clyde escaped from Belfast Zoo

One is still on the loose

bonnie capture clyde escape monkey zoo

Two cheeky monkeys escaped from Belfast Zoo yesterday. 

The pair of Lion-Tailed Macaques, nicknamed Bonnie and Clyde, managed to slip away from their keepers who have been tracking them armed with nets and cunning.

One of the monkeys has since been recovered, but one remains lonely and still on the run.

Six monkeys of the same breed broke out from the Zoo in 2013 and one in particular, ‘Roxy’, remained at large for over a week.

A spokesman for the Belfast  Zoo said: “One of the two lion-tailed macaques, that escaped from Belfast Zoo yesterday (25 March 2015), has been returned to the zoo site.

“The macaque was found in a nearby location and was returned to the zoo by the zoo vet, keepers and the Northern Ireland Fire Service.

“There are continued sightings of the other macaque and staff are continuing to monitor the locations and track the movements of the animal.

“We are confident that the remaining macaque will soon be found and returned to the zoo.”

So if you see a pair of hairy, hulking mischievous looking creatures scampering around Belfast, don’t assume it’s just a couple of hipsters hungover from last night.