Meet the QUB Captains

Confused by all the options? These captains tell us why you should play for their team

| UPDATED captain cheerleading football gaelic hurling qub rowing sport trampolining waterpolo

Rugby – Ryan Clarke

Ryan Clarke. 4th Year Business Management student

Ryan Clarke. 4th Year Business Management student from Newtonabbey

What makes you the best team at QUB?

Managing to remain sober long enough to win the Ulster Senior Cup, Dudley Cup and Represent Ireland 7s in the Redbull University 6 Nations is testament enough that we are the best team in Queen’s.

Although many of the squad are would argue that Ladies Hockey is much more entertaining to watch.

What’s the most memorable moment from your last season/tour?

We can have up to four trips away a year, the majority of which are filled with unspeakable things that I could not possibly include in an article my mother might read.

So I would have to say the most memorable moments from last season would include being good, well mannered Queen’s University students, and strong role models within our respective communities.

Who is the one to watch on your team?

Conor “The Spoink” Spence. Not because he’s particularly good at rugby, it’s more of a public service announcement. Just look out for him.

Football – Daniel Culbert

Daniel Culbert, final year Business Management student from Dromore

What makes you the best team at QUB?

The club is proud to run three teams on a Saturday alongside two student teams for Wednesday football.

The level of the first team makes our club that bit more impressive. We boast 3rd in championship two  alongside our famous run in the Irish cup last year and the semi final at the Oval against Ballymena was a huge day for the club.

The word ‘good’ was used to sum up our season at the end of year awards presentation and it’s our aim to go on and have a great one this year.

After a few beverages in Edinburgh on the end of season tour our manager Peter Thompson found himself in the hands of our right winger.

The “Tombstone Piledriver” technique was used to bring him to the floor and we assumed that would be the finisher of all finishers until we saw a rather large Gregg’s sausage bap then bounce off Mr Thompsons head.

Typical behaviour of a team made up from The Holylands but perhaps not that of an Irish League club.

Who is the one to watch on your team?

The goalkeeper at QUB goes by the name of “The Beast”. People only whisper his name on the mean streets of Edinburgh.

His Saturday night antics are known to be legendary including his famous house parties of a sexual nature.

Massive player in the dressing room and a great guy to have at the club.

Basketball – Jonathan Rooney 

Jonathan Rooney, final year medicine student from Belfast

What makes you the best team at QUB?

As well as team captain the club has a drinking captain responsible for all social events, celebratory and commiseration drinks. This title is not awarded through vote but passed down the strongbow blood line.

The team also boasts four Northern Ireland intervarsity players and experienced coach Ryan McCormick.

After a big session the night before a group stage match we had a few players a bit shakey on their feet in the warm up.

One player (the drinking captain) was in such a bad way that the opposition agreed that if we started him they would give him a clear lane to the basket, unchallenged.

He didn’t even hit the net.

Who is the one to watch on your team?

There’s not just one to watch but the whole team – 2015 will see the Irish inter-varsity championships return to Belfast in April.

You’ll see twelve male and female basketball teams show off the top college talent in Ireland.

Netball – Sarah Charity

Sarah Charity, final year Economics with Finance student from Enniskillen

What makes you the best team at QUB?

Any member past or present will tell you that joining the Netball squad is like gaining 30 sisters in the process.

No other club does an initiation or socials like us, there are great opportunities for mixing with other teams like the dodgeball and basketball crew.

Above all netball is a lively, fast paced and athletic sport and QUB Netball is committed to every ability of player it welcomes onto the court

Making our promo video for the annual All-Ireland Intervarsity championships.

Twenty-five lassies decked out in warpaint, ties round our heads and the fiercest glares on campus – check it out on our QUB Netball Facebook page.

Who is the one to watch on your team?

Rebecca Lenaghan our GD is without doubt a future star on Northern Ireland’s Netball squad. A fantastic player who can intercept every ball coming her way.

She’s known to sprain a finger or three but can still play without a flinch. One of the most committed girls on the squad and has a winning attitude in every match

Rowing – Alicia Green

Alicia Green, 2nd Year Politics Student from Halifax

What makes you the best team at QUB?

Rowing is the ultimate team sport; everything has to be done as a crew which means you build really close relationships with a lot of the people around you.

Plus, you learn that lycra is always an appropriate outfit choice so every day can be ultimate-comfort-day.

What is your most memorable moment with the girls rowing team? 

National Championship weekend inspired a great atmosphere in the whole club.

Everyone supported one another wholeheartedly and had a great and successful time and we all returned from it feeling like a family.

Who is the one to watch on your team?

There’s never just one to watch in rowing- there’s a boat load.

We work as a crew and you can all expect good things from us this year. Watch this space.

Girls’ Rugby – Claire McLaughlin

Claire McLaughlin, 4th year medicine student from “the country”

What makes girls rugby the best team at QUB?

We have such a mix of experienced girls and freshers and we all get on brilliantly. There’s great banter and we play like champions on the pitch.

We’ve had  loads of hilarious bus trips. My favourite was the trip home from winning the Ulster Cup when awards were given out to girls on the team, prestigious titles such as “Bitch on the pitch”, “Coach’s pet”, “Dry your eyes” and “Players’ player” were earned.

Who is the one to watch on your team?

The one to look out for has to be Jemma Jackson. She is our out-half, and winner of the “Bitch on the pitch” award for last season.

She has been seen on the pitch yelling, waving her arms and stamping her feet on occasion, so she’s hard to miss.

Despite her anger issues, Jemma is actually a great team player, and is extremely talented- she will definitely go far in the next couple of years.

Trampolining – Michaelagh Tennyson 

Michaelagh Tennyson, 3rd year Mechanical Engineering student from Craigavon

What makes trampolining the best sport at QUB?

We’re basically a group of people who shouldn’t be friends, but for some reason – trampolining – we are.

We welcome everyone in and introduce ourselves by telling other stories of how we have embarrassed ourselves.

There are a minimum of three weekends away during which a maximum of two minutes is spent on a trampoline competing.

We’re very laid back and we do enjoy going out and partying.

What is your most memorable moment from last season?

One of my favourite memories from last year was competing synchro but it going so badly – luckily we didn’t finish last.

Another memory from a previous year was a guy from our club, running around the hostel, after a night out in a white ladies formal dress screaming “I’m a ghost!” at everyone.

Who is the one to watch on your team?

It’s hard to pick out just one person, but if I had to I would say it would be last year’s Captain Sean O’Neill, not only is he one of our coaches, he has competed at the Second highest level, Pre-Elite.

He’s is always up for having a laugh, going for food and going out.

He also has amazingly soft hair, always a big plus.

Water Polo – Matt Hanna

Matt Hanna, third year Physics student from Belfast

What makes water polo the best club at QUB?

We are currently All-Ireland University champions so I’m sure that counts for something.

Also, the water polo community is quite small so we’re all close friends as well as playing with or against one another- I think that makes us the best team.

What’s your best moment from last season?

Best craic we had was when the varsities were hosted in Belfast this year.

On the Friday night we took all our friends from the other teams to the students’ union and there was so many people with us they had to open another bar to fit us all in.

The ones from The South are always very impressed by the price of drinks up here.

Who is the one to watch for on your team?

There are a number of interesting characters in our team.  In actual water polo Stephen Loughran would be the one to watch, considering he was awarded player of the tournament when we won the varsities this year.

Outside the pool would probably be Dónall Ó Dochartaigh, instigator of drinking sessions and usually the host of parties.

Cheerleading – Caitriona Keenan

Caitriona Keenan, 3rd Year Law student from Belfast

What makes you the best team at QUB?

We’re currently Northern Ireland champions and  2nd out of all the teams in Europe last year. That’s only part of what makes us QUB’s Sports Club of the Year.

We train so hard and spend so much time together we become not only a tight group of friends but a family.

My housemates are mostly girls I’ve met through cheer, we always joke and call ourselves a Sorority. All of us give the club 100%,  and that’s why we’re the best club at QUB.

Definitely our bootcamp night. We got  into a dance off the QUB soccer team at their Christmas party in Mandela.

The boys didn’t stand a chance when splits starting dropping and girls were thrown about all over the place.

Who is the one to watch in Queen’s Knights?

To be into the sport we do, you have to have a little daredevil inside you and be up for a new challenge every training session.

All of our team are always up for the craic. Let’s just say every night out always ends up as a great story for practice.