5 ways to help you get some bloody sleep

We’ve all had trouble sleeping at one point or another. These five hints might help you out…especially if you’re reading this in the early hours.

| UPDATED nap noises sleep soothe

1.  Water Whispers Videos

The first thing that I came across is the new craze of  ‘The Water Whispers’ videos on YouTube.  This woman mainly focuses on relaxing sounds from scratching to playing an African drum very lightly.  It’s nonsense, but quite effective nonsense. Give them a go if you can listen to trickling water without running to the toilet at 3am.

Water Whispers A surprisingly relaxing YouTube channel.

2.  Keep a notebook handy

Your mind may go into overdrive as soon as it is time to sleep. You suddenly remember you have to top up the electric before tomorrow.  If you’re in bed and this happens, scribble it down then you can worry about it in the morning.

Got my priorities sorted.

3.  Rainforest White Noise Apps

If you don’t have a smart phone you can always listen to these noises on YouTube.    Having the gentle noises of the rainforest as opposed to drunken students walk past your house makes it much easier to fall asleep.  Parrots make less of a racket than a lost student.

YouTube has loads of rainforest sounds for you to fall asleep to

4.  Beware of caffeine before bed

This seems like an obvious one but it can be hard to ditch that cup of tea before bed.  So why not try something like peppermint tea if you really can’t part with a warm drink before bed.  Betray Tetley but I have become a herbal tea addict.

Goodbye Tetley, hello Peppermint!

5.  Make a bedtime playlist (not the sexy kind)

Not only can you have crazy relaxing songs, but you may start associating those songs with sleep.  Therefore when you hear them in bed you will automatically start to relax.  A simple, yet effective way of falling asleep. Maybe avoid Annie Mac’s special delivery mixes unless you want some really hardcore dreams.

My chillout playlist.