The Perils of Pushy PR

Stop sending me Facebook notifications, shoving leaflets in my face, and littering my car – I don’t want to go to your event.

Let’s admit it, we’ve all experienced attempting to walk to a lecture only to be bombarded by the promotion vultures. I can honestly say not a day goes by that I don’t come home with a bag full of leaflets that seem to be of no use to me.

I’m not one to be a crazy eco-friendly ‘Let’s save the planet’ type, but a lot of these promoters know how to kill the trees one by one by handing out fifty leaflets at a time. I refuse to believe that I’m the only one that gets really annoyed by coming home each day and finding the other side of my door looks like a rubbish bin.

Making my house look even worse after a night out…

As if it isn’t bad enough coming home to find my house in an even worse state than when I left it, the awkward interaction I have with promoters makes me want to stay in bed all day (nothing to do with going to class or anything).

When I do build up the courage to finally leave my house, I’m forever trying to plan my route around avoiding them. But believe me, they’re unavoidable.

Wherever I go, whatever I do, they always manage be there. They even managed to force themselves onto my poor, defenseless car.

Now don’t get me wrong, sometimes the leaflets have good drinks promotions (and what student doesn’t want to hear about that), but more than likely they’re for a nightclub that nobody has ever heard of, with a name that you’ll forget within three seconds. How many of you can genuinely say you’ve used one of the leaflets you’ve shoved into the bottom of your bag?

I can hear you trying to defend the promoters by thinking that some of them only use the internet to promote their events. But no, I find this equally annoying.

I don’t know if I’m the only sad person who gets excited when they get a Facebook notification thinking it will be something funny, only to find out it’s an event invite that I’ve received three times already.

If I’ve said I’m not going the first time, what makes nightclubs think I’m going to change my mind if they annoy me?

I highly doubt I’ll be converting to the PR side!

I’m all for somebody trying to earn a bit of money, what student doesn’t need extra money? But I think PRs are starting to form their own form of species. So this is my warning to all you students out there. BEWARE of the PRs, they’re on the loose and we’re their prey!