‘Law students think they know everything’: SU security bounce back

The Tab sat down with SU’s security staff to find out what they really think about QUB’s drunken students.

| UPDATED bouncers su

I headed down to the SU Speakeasy to have a cheeky pint with a bouncer and have a natter about what the role is really about.

Bearded, bulky and a black belt but with a cheery smile and stories galore, James*, is the kind of guy you would want keeping watch over your fellow students rather than one of the stereotypical creepy bouncers who scavenge the private nightclubs for fresh meat.

‘We’re just doing our job!’ – what do bouncers really think of us?

So, let’s start from the beginning. How did you get into security at Queens? How has it been?

I initially went for bar staff but when that had been filled up I was recommended to go for the security. With 7 years martial art training I thought I would be able to manage! Although it has its challenges, the job is great and the people I work with are fantastic.

Another bouncer, John*, says that ‘the unsociable hours can also be frustrating… the best bit about the job is that no two nights are the same’.

A multi-tasking bouncer. The things they’ll do for us…

Can you tell a difference between freshers and the older students?

Definitely.You get freshers straight out of secondary school/college where they were top dog and now they are back to the bottom of the pecking order. Some of them have no understanding of authority and respect.

John says is that older students are more mature but can also be more argumentative.

Who’s worse – boys or girls?

Boys are a problem on a more frequent basis with their bravado but with girls it is so intense. I once went to break up two girls fighting and one bit me. We also have to be much more careful in how we deal with the girls compared to the boys.

Another bouncer agreed “Girls are the worst- they can be a real disaster sometimes”

Boys or girls … who do you think are the worst?

Bouncers at KCL told The Tab their job is like being ‘a babysitter to middle class kids’, would you agree that some students look down on you?

Not at all, the students at Queen’s are usually great. Obviously you get the common abuse but as security you do develop a hard skin.

However, one ex-president of the SU said to me ‘I am the President of this building, get your hands off me’, which I was not impressed with.

Is there a particular student group who stand out as irritating?

Law students seem to think they know everything about my contract and ask under what legal reason they are being thrown out. Medics are also a nightmare. They do not have the qualifications or responsibility or ability to magically fix every broken ankle. You’re drunk, leave it to the real professionals.

A new bouncer buddy!

Weird and worst situations?

Obviously being bitten was memorable! I have come across so many inappropriate adult activities in lifts, alcoves etc! [Remember kids, there are cameras all over the SU!]

Although no one has thrown up on me personally, one friend has been crapped upon. One thing that does surprise when I am going around is the amount of times I have had to stop people trying to do somersaults or backflips down the stairs.

John adds,‘I have been thrown up on one too many times!’

Security are there to ensure we all have a great night – party on!

Has seeing students in such states impacted your own drinking habits?

Definitely. Seeing people projectile vomiting, unable to stand up and acting like general morons has put me off ever wanting to get into that situation. I enjoy the odd drink but would never put myself into that sort of vulnerable position.

Thank you to all security staff for looking after us after one shot too many…

What would you say to the students that are reading this article?

Often the supervisors in the SU are students just like you! We want to keep our team as part of the student body without the SU becoming solely monitored by an external company who may be less lenient.

One tip is that being polite will get you many more favours from bouncers (like getting an autograph from one of the guests) rather than flirting or being aggressive. If we tell you something just do it, we’re doing it for your safety at the end of the night!

And for the boys, if a girl pulls her head away, do not go for it again! It looks ridiculous.

So there we have it. Treat the security with the respect they deserve for doing their job and remember that, really, it is the students that are more likely to be the sinners.

*Names have been changed