Students and the First World Problem

Ever heard of the concept of first-world problems? Of course you have, because if uni teaches you anything it’s that life is so hard, horrendous and downright difficult.

Choices everywhere that define right now, (what bottle of alcohol do I get for tonight? Am I really going to do this assignment this weekend or leave it until Sunday night?) and the future (Rejected placement? I didn’t want to do that anyway… I might become a cat lady because I like cats and horrible décor).

However, these following complaints are somewhat a bit outrageous, but we all know someone who has done it.

Free Stuff Failure

Seriously?! First. world. nightmare

Any student who has the reason to complain about free stuff has got some serious issues. Freshers fair is like my stationery shopping day to get enough pens to last me for the year; getting a pair of even half-working earphones would be like night of silence in the Holylands – a miracle! How can a student afford to complain about free stuff?

The Question of Boredom

One of the biggest choices at uni is what to do when you have nothing to do and it is the most common complaint of all, ‘I’m bored’. In our house being bored leads to the debate over playing on the Playstation 3, the Nintendo 64 or watching normal TV. Once that decision has been made you have to choose the game or the TV show! We did not leave school prepared for this kind of life-changing decision making. One thing for sure is that obviously uni work is not an option.

The Takeaway Torture

We don’t want to admit it but this is something we have all done. Ordered a take away and expected it to be there immediately. If only it was true but instead we have to wait and waiting is not a fun pastime for any student, especially when food is concerned. It doesn’t seem right but we still manage to complain about the delightful invention which ensures we don’t have to buy ingredients, cook anything or even turn on any appliances!

But WHY did I have to wait half an hour?!

Tea Maker Nominations

At the start of university tea was what introduced people together, ‘the bonding brew’, but now it causes some of the biggest household debates for students. By now even freshers understand that making tea means making a drink for every single person in the house. Whether they want tea, coffee or liquidized truffles you have unfortunately volunteered for the task; and unlike Katniss you don’t even get the reassuring feeling you’re doing this to save your sister. No, you have just put yourself into a situation where you have to remember 8 different requirements, all with different sugar quantities. The pressure that this puts on an individual student is so extreme that we all just avoid making tea altogether!

‘Quick’ Queues

This is a place worth queuing for

Whether it’s waiting for the shower, the queue to get into Box or to get a Boojum, we have all complained about it. Even though at the end of the tunnel of people there is a good night out or the most satisfying meal ever, we will complain until the moment that burrito is in our hands.

So perhaps now we realise that students complain about everything and we have all done it. Let’s be honest, most of these things are pretty petty (when did choosing what TV show to watch become such a big deal?!) and are the definition of first world problems, so perhaps students should think that maybe a free pair of headphones isn’t really that bad after all.

If you have a first world problem you think is more deserving leave us a comment, or tweet us @TheTabBelfast